Terriers Can Do Anything....

At least, according to my Jim.

He's been coming out with me after Sambar with the hound team. This was his first official "kill" .

photo_zps63d36b21.jpg

He'd seen a few dead'uns, but this was the first he'd seen on four feet. He was the other side of a blackberry bush when I heard him bark aggressively, so I was ready when this little stag stepped around the bush into view. It bolted at the shot and Jim took off after it, to pull up 70 yards later. I found him scruffing it and defending his end from the pair of Harriers that had been on the scent.

He is very proud of himself, convinced that he ran it down and caught it - any shots fired or hounds arriving being purely coincidental.

He comes up with me almost every hunt, and more than once has followed up a shot deer for me.

• Like 18

• 4 weeks later...

At least, according to my Jim.

He's been coming out with me after Sambar with the hound team. This was his first official "kill" .photo_zps63d36b21.jpg

He'd seen a few dead'uns, but this was the first he'd seen on four feet. He was the other side of a blackberry bush when I heard him bark aggressively, so I was ready when this little stag stepped around the bush into view. It bolted at the shot and Jim took off after it, to pull up 70 yards later. I found him scruffing it and defending his end from the pair of Harriers that had been on the scent.

He is very proud of himself, convinced that he ran it down and caught it - any shots fired or hounds arriving being purely coincidental.

He comes up with me almost every hunt, and more than once has followed up a shot deer for me.

a v.good friend of mine who culls a very big herd of fallow for the national trust had a jack Russell bitch,this bitch you could dig foxes, which I did hundreds of times with hounds but when out stalking she would hunt shot deer till found an during the stalk she would be on her belly just like my mate as he got up close enough, even when a shot was fired she wouldn't go just in case there was chance of a second kill, she was human an a pleasure to watch work what ever the quarry.
  • Like 3
  • 7 months later...

That's awesome! Well done Jim :) I love reading about the kind of informal hunting/flushing type work you do over there. It really illustrates the value of good dogs for every hunting scenario.

I hope that mine will be a good all rounder- I think the more work you can get, the closer the bond becomes and the more they learn exactly what you're doing that day. She comes everywhere with me including stalking or sitting in the highseats.. Sometimes she rides in the Roe Sack and sometimes at heel. She did run in the other week on the second one of the day after I let her rag the first one I shot but she's so biddable I'm sure I'll stop her again. The remaining Fallow were more bemused than scared mind you ;)

I did think about training her for tracking but she already follows a line and would bay at a wounded one I reckon so probably no point messing around with harnesses etc.

She did cost me one fallow Buck last year when I whistled at one to stop it on a ride whilst in a continental high seat. She thought it was the cue to leap into my lap :D

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

That's a great pic Tsayad. Jim is the spitting image of my little fella Zip. I'm hoping he develops into a Sambar hunting weapon as well. He's been on a couple of hunts with me now and is very switched on. But I know he will probably lose me a few deer before he really gets the hang of it. It's all fun. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...