Entertaining scrap...a slug fest in a phone box....those that said Burns is washed up...got it wrong...

ye i agree. theres still some fights in RB.

looked good when he could get some distance and get his punches off...reminded me a bit of Tony Sibson, Kev Finnegan and those Brit fighters i enjoyed as a teenager

Great era for British middleweights that was i know Minter raves about how tough Kevin Finnegan was and with 45 rounds against him he should know........and his brother Chris was no slouch either.

My uncle worked with Chris and Kevins cousin...and went to a lot of Chris's fights..he said that they both really loved a good piss up...Hagler said Kev was the toughest he ever thought...he took the rematch with only 8 weeks to recover from having his cheek sown on..notouriously hard to keep out of the pub during training...shame no footage of the 1st fight exists...2 much over looked fighters...i think Kev would of been to much for the likes of Benn and Eubank...he remains one of my favourite British middle weights...sad life counted them both out too early

Entertaining scrap...a slug fest in a phone box....those that said Burns is washed up...got it wrong...

looked good when he could get some distance and get his punches off...reminded me a bit of Tony Sibson, Kev Finnegan and those Brit fighters i enjoyed as a teenager

Great era for British middleweights that was i know Minter raves about how tough Kevin Finnegan was and with 45 rounds against him he should know........and his brother Chris was no slouch either.

My uncle worked with Chris and Kevins cousin...and went to a lot of Chris's fights..he said that they both really loved a good piss up...Hagler said Kev was the toughest he ever thought...he took the rematch with only 8 weeks to recover from having his cheek sown on..notouriously hard to keep out of the pub during training...shame no footage of the 1st fight exists...2 much over looked fighters...i think Kev would of been to much for the likes of Benn and Eubank...he remains one of my favourite British middle weights...sad life counted them both out too early

I boxed in the Aba,s as a kid in 76 a few days after Kevin Finnegan had knocked someone out at York Hall early in his career and he was there ringside....Sylvester Mittee who was a gym mate of mine won the Aba,s that year and was on his way to the Montreal Olympics......i barely knew who Finnegan was at the time but he wished me luck saying hopefully you,ll be on the plane with your mate.........didnt quite work out that way but still :D ....after asking about him later on i kept an eye on his career after that......like you say he was certainly a hard man.......dont think he could of troubled Benn/Eubank though.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

I boxed in the Aba,s as a kid in 76 a few days after Kevin Finnegan had knocked someone out at York Hall early in his career and he was there ringside....Sylvester Mittee who was a gym mate of mine won the Aba,s that year and was on his way to the Montreal Olympics......i barely knew who Finnegan was at the time but he wished me luck saying hopefully you,ll be on the plane with your mate.........didnt quite work out that way but still :D ....after asking about him later on i kept an eye on his career after that......like you say he was certainly a hard man.......dont think he could of troubled Benn/Eubank though.

i worked with finnegans mate he was telling me about when they went to fight hagler gave me some bits when they were out there :thumbs:

What did his mate have to say about the Hagler matches??...bit of controversy over them matches...1st one Kev was badly cut but looked to have the beating of Hagler...Kev wanted to carry on...the doctor said he could...but Micky Duff insisted he was pulled out...strange Duff should come on all caring as Kev looked to be winning!....he then took the rematch with only 8 weeks to recover...obviously got stopped when his cuts opened again ...who ever was advising him didnt have his best interests at heart...as said previously...Hagler and Minter both said Kev was the toughest they ever fought

sorry to hijack the Burns thread...he just reminded me a bit of Kev on Saturday night...so ment as a compliment

If they could of kept him out the pub...he would of been a match for any British middle weight imo...did you ever box for England Gnasher?

What did his mate have to say about the Hagler matches??...bit of controversy over them matches...1st one Kev was badly cut but looked to have the beating of Hagler...Kev wanted to carry on...the doctor said he could...but Micky Duff insisted he was pulled out...strange Duff should come on all caring as Kev looked to be winning!....he then took the rematch with only 8 weeks to recover...obviously got stopped when his cuts opened again ...who ever was advising him didnt have his best interests at heart...as said previously...Hagler and Minter both said Kev was the toughest they ever fought

sorry to hijack the Burns thread...he just reminded me a bit of Kev on Saturday night...so ment as a compliment

they got snowed in so all he could do is train so he was the fittest hes ever bin hagler turn up in a hurst he said kev said whats he driveing one of them for :laugh::laugh: he loved hes drink but a very tough man :thumbs:

If they could of kept him out the pub...he would of been a match for any British middle weight imo...did you ever box for England Gnasher?

A couple of times as a youth.... i did the unspeakable act as an amateur of going from West Ham to Repton and back to West Ham that was seen as treachery in them days i didnt really enjoy the amateurs after that :D .......Must admit i dont know too much about the Finnegans away from boxing i think they were from Surrey or Hertfordshire somewhere im not sure.....would of made for a messy fight with Benn thats for sure !

• Like 1