Feeding rabbit/chicken carcasses?

Guest spartancombat

i preffer to just feed them a complete mixer food, its far less messy, but i live in a suburb and have to travel to shoot with my doggs, i have to staffys and they are the most inteligent dogs i have ever used, they will sit and wait for a kill or spook and wait, they seem to be totally aware of the danger of the gun and target.

"Far less messy" come on this is a hunting forum and what has traveling to shoot got to do with giving your dog having a good meat diet please.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello all

i was wondering about the raw chicken ...did anyone see those programmes on tv about how full of diseases and bad bacteria etc etc our supermarket chickens are...so is that going to do the dog any harm ? theres that many chemicals inside the poor chickens nowdays i wonder about eating it myself,especially when i see the burn marks on the legs from laying in thier own urine fro months on end... i,m sure it must flavour the meat...pissy chicken !

so does anyone have an alternative...and dont say bloody free range cause that usuaully twice the price.. im sort of thinking.

does anyone buy from a guaranteed good source..?

also what about HAL- AL meat /chicken from our local asian supermarkets ? does anyone know if they eat the same chicken as we do ? or do they eat cleaner healthier meat/chicken.. i know they dont have the pork...so thats one good thing .

any clues anyone.

cheers

vin

Good point Vin. Ive often wondered the same about the drugs etc in human foods. I think we are only safe giving the humble bunny straight from the fields, but then if you go even deeper, they are eating chemicals from sprayed fields, all kinds of medication we have wee'd out, that go back into the natural water therefore back into the land :(

Im afraid mankind is slowly killing everything.

MOLL.

Good point Vin. Ive often wondered the same about the drugs etc in human foods. I think we are only safe giving the humble bunny straight from the fields, but then if you go even deeper, they are eating chemicals from sprayed fields, all kinds of medication we have wee'd out, that go back into the natural water therefore back into the land :(

Im afraid mankind is slowly killing everything.

MOLL.

so does anyone know the anwser ?

its all a bit tricky... dogs love it ...but is it good ? chicken ?

cheers

vin

bacteria in chicken salmonela eg wont bother a dog ,gut acids very strong.anti biotics in meat i dont no but we all know there their,as for alal meat its all one supply realy just slaughterd differently.at least thats my veiw.

I feed 100% raw bones the lot, always have done same as my father grandfather before me, there is only ONE way to feed a dog the best and that is raw meat and bone with some added veg and supplements. ;)

Feed fresh and give the complet crap to the bin man ;)

I feed my dog bones, raw meat and minced meat with puree vegatbles. The bones i mostly give are boned out chicken carcases from the butcher, they are given to me for free and the dogs love them, bit of bone, meat and skin. I also get nice meaty chunky lamb bones from a supermarket that sells them for practically nothing, they are soft and have meat and fat on them and the dogs can crunch them up easily enough whilst still taking some time to eat them and clean their gnashers. I occasionly will buy them breast of lamb and just feed the slab with the bones, oh and chicken wings to.

I also give them minced beef with veg that has been blended into a mush a few times a week, rabbit stew with veg that is then blended is also good.

I think you can try and feed as naturally as possible that a canine digestive system would be use to and you cant go far wrong. I do also give them some james wellbeloved dry food or wainwrights wet food every once in a while aswell, just incase they are missing something from their natural diets.

not sure about the freezing side of things becuse for hawks we used to have to freeze stuff for at least 12 weeks in order for the germs and stuff to be dead also after 6 months freezing the goodnes will be rapidly depleeting from it also rabbit doesn,t have high fat content so surely if u was working the dogs hard surely they wouldn,t benefit much just my opion hope some one may be able to shed more light on it i do feed my dogs raw tripe and also raw chicken with a very small amount of biscuit for teeth cleanin and work some of them 5 days a week

Pups at 3 weeks old Starting on carcasses from the butcher

P9240024.jpg

Did them well throughout the time they was with me.

PA240007.jpg

I get a mixture of bones from the butcher but mainly chicken carcasses and wings, I feed alternate days one day kibble one day raw bones, I always watch them with their bones as they tend to eat them too quickly and have been known to not chew carcasses!!!! They are wormed regularly.

I have no experience of feeding my own dogs rabbit but have seen dogs eat them fur and all with little trouble.

Unfortunately when it comes to pesticides, chemicals and added extras im unsure how much we can avoid.

With feeding I think its important to keep it simple and keep to what suits you.

I suppose the thing to remember is that a good balance is important, too much is as harmful as too little, I dont worry too much about veg and fruit as the dogs get a good quality complete kibble every other day but mine have the fruit and veg straight from the fridge just as they are on the turn, skins and all (apart from oranges) saves throwing them away! mine also get table scraps if any are over, doesnt do them any harm if their main diet is spot on.... No overweight dogs in this house....

P7300429.jpg

P7300456.jpg

I suppose the thing to remember is that a good balance is important, too much is as harmful as too little, I dont worry too much about veg and fruit as the dogs get a good quality complete kibble every other day but mine have the fruit and veg straight from the fridge just as they are on the turn, skins and all (apart from oranges) saves throwing them away! mine also get table scraps if any are over, doesnt do them any harm if their main diet is spot on.... No overweight dogs in this house....

P7300429.jpg

P7300456.jpg

he looks in fine condition mate well done!!!!