Hound Wanted

Hello, I'm new to this forum but not new to hounds. It is not true to state that hounds are not sold in Ireland or Britain. Hunts which operate under the auspices of the Hound Association of Ireland or its British equivalent are forbidden to sell any hound, whether it is a puppy or older dog - this is the honoured tradition. As a previous commentator said, pups can be 'drafted' from one hunt pack to another by arrangement, but no money changes hands. However, private breeders are totally free to offer hounds for sale at whatever they consider a fair price, and of course if anyone thinks that price too high, then they don't have to give it a second thought. Hounds are increasingly sold in this way in both Ireland and Britain as the number of private owners/breeders increase. In my own view, private breeding of hounds is very likely to help in conserving these cherished breeds into the future as some packs' future will otherwise be uncertain because the Hunting Ban has removed their function and many hunts have not taken to drag hunting instead. It is helpful to remember that a breeder of hounds, like any other dog breed, does not do so free of charge... It takes quite a lot of time, effort and money to be able to produce a decent litter of pups which can be offered for sale, and some breeds are rarer and often more saught after and valuable than others. The Bavarian Mountain Scenthound is exactly such a breed and I would think that a price of £500 is not excessively high for this breed, especially if they are Kennel Club registered and have been well looked after medically, etc. So, good luck to the BMS breeder/seller, and we would do well to bear in mind that private breeding breeding and selling of many hound breeds may well prove their best chance of avoiding extinction over the next few decades. lazybear.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What are the above do they drive the van to the meet for that price and clean their own shet up

Is there anyone with a hound forsale in the northwest area or could anyone point me in the right direction I'd be gratefull for any help atb keep hunting

I've never herd of anyone selling hounds and that's mad money for a working. Pups should be gifted to trusted lads

Lazybear go back to sleep and start dreaming again you breed a litter keep what you want and give what you dont want to someone trusted and the favor is returned simple as when you breed for money you breed for the wrong reasons and thats not good for the hunting ability of the hound