Blinking frost. Thought I was a tad early but decided to put my runner bean plants in. 50. Dead as bread. Good job there is a back up plan. Looks like the early spuds made it. Ridged them this morning. Anyone else made the same mistake? (Midlands). Jok.

Guest Navek

Blinking frost. Thought I was a tad early but decided to put my runner bean plants in. 50. Dead as bread. Good job there is a back up plan. Looks like the early spuds made it. Ridged them this morning. Anyone else made the same mistake? (Midlands). Jok.

woke up this morning to frost on ground. Was real surprised see it with this nice weather we had

Talk about a run of luck. Went down this morning to check on things, not a blessed cabbage plant left under the clouche. Slugs and snails. No more early setting for me. Jok.

Good news at last. Took my courgette plants back to the greenhouse and lo and behold they are ok. Put the back up runner bean plants in (put another 50 in just in case) and my potatoes look good. Wife informs me that a frost tonight is likely. Well much too late to do anything about that. Hope you are all doing ok.

my beans are ok , but the fukking pigions keep have in a go at my coli, one sat there yesterday right by the carry bags i put up to keep them off. shame really as he ended up in ferret pen with a .22 in side of his head.

• Like 1

My spuds were peeping through and got nipped but earthed them up they seem fine peeping through again now. The toms in me cold frame copped it mind game over for them but I have spare in the house

In this area May the 6th is considered the magic date, for planting out frost susceptible plants. Time to plant my first runner beans this week. I have tried getting them in early, and while I have not lost any to frost they just do not seem to pollinate properly until the middle of July. Most of the flowers do not set and those that do the small beans just fall off.

TC

Now see this is when it gets interesting. I harvested my first dinner of runner beans first week of July 2014 mainly due to planting on March 19th and somehow avoiding the frosts. My second lot of plants are in and when I checked them today all was well (Murphys Law creeps in). Every thing else looks OK .

• 2 months later...

Well guys. I k now this topic is a bit stale but I'd like to let you know that all's well. Don't know where to start really. Early spuds very good. Arran Pilot. Bit of scab but otherwise ok.Cabbage. cauli very good and taste good as well Peas. Main line took a bit of a hammering but all in all a good crop. All in the freezer. 2nd crop not so good but again in the freezer. Strange not too much pea moth. Carrots outstanding. For the first time ever I riddled all the soil before seeding to a depth of about 10 inches. Good result. Beetroot very good. Pickling well. Shalllots same. Making a ton of piccalli which is going down well in the local. Obviously therefore the courgettes are tremendous, both yellow and green and a few more besides. Onions took a hit from that bloody moth and subsequent larvae(any ideas) At last the runner beans are producing, and how. Crikey, pick one bag, go to the end of the row and start again. Bit like the Forth Railway Bridge. All the squash, marrow and similar are going beserk which we all expect. "2nd earlies definitely need digging and bagging. Tried them Vivaldi. Chilli peppers are doing well for saying they are outdoors. Main thing is my parsnip. Never been able to grow the things on this ground but by gum they look good. That,s about it. One of my mates delivered a bag of pigeon breasts so I guess it,s time for pies again. Hope you are all doing well as well.

• Like 1

No mate. To be honest I didn,t expect any results at all, Earlier on in the year I asked about the carrot fly and how to prevent the little booger. I just did the trench, riddled the soil and hey presto. A first for me. Germination seemed the same as all the other root crops. I say again, first time I've been able to grow parsnip. Result. :bye: