I've been wanting to get into beekeeping for years but so far have only got so far as to be given the Idiots Guide to beekeeping. I was planning on cracking on with it this year but have been focussing on my game larder / cutting room instead and have let my reading up slide. Thing is I've just been offered a neucleus hive for nothing as the guy has 8 hives and wants to cut one to lighten his workload; my deadline for collecting it is 2/3 weeks or he'll 'let them go'.

I can probably stump up for a hive and find somewhere to site it but as to keeping them I don't have a clue. Is it possible to learn on the job and pick up kit along the way?

Definitely take up the offer of a nucleus, it will not take up too much of your time to look after it. As long as you give the queen space to lay and maybe a feed until the colony size increases enough to thrive on its own. A new colony is less inclined to give you any swarming problems as they are focussed on getting bigger. On the plus side it will be great experience for you in managing a hive, its a lot easier to inspect a small, young colony than a more established hive. Finding the queen, identifying drone and worker bees, the difference between capped brood, pollen or honey stores are all a lot easier to do in a smaller colony. If you can find someone to act as your mentor, so you can be sure you are doing the right things then that would be a great help. Remember it's just keeping bees in a box, a lot of the more challenging things that you may have to do with bee keeping, you will not have to do with one colony. Go for it I'd say.

More than possible.

Are you getting the frames as well as the colony?

I think so - from the sound of things I can keep whatever they com in until I've got my own hardware. I just need to know what I need to get! Its a friend of a friends dad, neither of the middle men know and/or give a shit about bees so the information hasn't all filtered through.

Definitely take up the offer of a nucleus, it will not take up too much of your time to look after it. As long as you give the queen space to lay and maybe a feed until the colony size increases enough to thrive on its own. A new colony is less inclined to give you any swarming problems as they are focussed on getting bigger. On the plus side it will be great experience for you in managing a hive, its a lot easier to inspect a small, young colony than a more established hive. Finding the queen, identifying drone and worker bees, the difference between capped brood, pollen or honey stores are all a lot easier to do in a smaller colony. If you can find someone to act as your mentor, so you can be sure you are doing the right things then that would be a great help. Remember it's just keeping bees in a box, a lot of the more challenging things that you may have to do with bee keeping, you will not have to do with one colony. Go for it I'd say.

Thanks David - from what I can tell the bee scene is getting more commercial in terms of courses but hopefully I'll be able to find some locally to show me the ropes, failing that books, common sense.... and Youtube.

• 1 month later...

Errr..... Help...

My nucleus arrived at the weekend just in time for all the bad weather. Not sure if I should be concerned or not but there's a pile of dead bees which have been pushed out the front and I can also see some in the entrance which I'm hoping have just blown back in.

I assume some travel mortality is normal but it's not exactly bustling with activity and there must be 30/40 deaduns that I can see. I don't want to rush and inspect them as they've only been ranging for one day and it's quite chilly and blustery here at the minute. I've set up a DIY feeder but haven't seen anything using it yet; just hope my foray into beekeeping it's over before it's begun!

Don't panic, I presume you have got a five frame nucleus with a good amount of bees, you're right that there will be some mortality but if the queen is laying these should be replaced quickly. Sit and watch the hive activity, if you can see them flying and coming back with pollen etc then it sounds alright until you feel able to open them up for an inspection. When I make up a nucleus I usually put some honey stores in, this might be the case with yours so the bees might not need your syrup. Hopefully it will all be okay.

It's a 5 frame nuke box - it was certainly buzzing when I took it out the back of the Landy to position it but since then has been quiet. Weather hasn't been great though so I guess they're keeping in, not great to have seen more dead ones that live ones so far though.

• 4 weeks later...

How's the bee keeping going Matt..?

A bit bloody stressful if I'm honest mate - got them all set up at vast expense in a new 14x12 national hive only to realise in transfer that I had no brood at all and no bloody queen!... Just a box of bees! Have since begged two frames of brood from a local beekeeper and will be checking them tomorrow to see if they've managed to make a queen. Fingers crossed!