Miler Racing Pigeons.

My grandad was crazy on the pigeons. He was the first one to have a loft when he was moved into the 'new' estate just after his return from the war. From there onwards he helped the younger generation set up their lofts until the estate had many dozens of pigeon men, each trying to beat each other.

pigeons were his life, he never went on holiday, just spent his life getting his birds to be the best he could, and he did have alot of winners. On a saturday we'd have to loiter in the kitchen while he scanned the skies, with aged eyes he still spotted that single tiny dot coming in over the council estate roofs before me.

Down the garden he'd skip, rattling his can of corn, getting his bird in through the bob hole and putting the ring into the old fashioned pigeon clocks. We used to have Yorkshire puddings made from pigeon eggs......made by my nan.

the young lads who my grandad taught are now old men and only a couple are still in the game, but there's still alot of pigeon men in the north, so I think it will be ok for a couple of years more....

Were they milers J.D.?Pigeon racing still very strong in many parts of UK the North being a stronghold.Alot more high-tech now and harder for working men to pursue. A lot of pigeon lads kept running dogs ,terriers,gamefowl etc. Harder to keep a bit of livestock now than ever due to council redtape and a changing society.Pigeon racing is still going good but totally different ball game to your grandad's day as you will know J.D. .Also aint many youngsters getting involved.

No buddy, they weren't milers, they were long distance fliers. that garden was a no-go zone on a saturday!! Sadly my grandad died when I was 12, but he was stone-radged on the dogs and stock and hunting. I wish he'd have lived long enough to have seen what his eldest grandchild had gotten up to..... that's ciggys for ya..... :cry:

No buddy, they weren't milers, they were long distance fliers. that garden was a no-go zone on a saturday!! Sadly my grandad died when I was 12, but he was stone-radged on the dogs and stock and hunting. I wish he'd have lived long enough to have seen what his eldest grandchild had gotten up to..... that's ciggys for ya..... :cry:

Sounds like your grandad was typical old school J.D. When I was a kid every street of terraces had it's yards with little lofts,hutches and the like. Horses were still being used by scrap and coalmen,tetherd and stabled any where you could fit them. Up to early 80's the whippet racing clubs were doing well,as were pigeon racing clubs. Everything move's on and time's change. Those old timers would not recognize pigeon racing.running dogs and the price that some of them cob's fetch. Anyway back to subject! pigeon v whippet anyone no out about it?

• Like 1

Typical .shame on barnsley council probably want the land to build a mosque or a gay and lesbian day centre . I kept fancy and flying pigeons for about twenty years met some fine people true gentleman with vast knowledge of husbandry of all kinds of animals .sadly old age has caught up with alot of them.

Pigeon racing is still going good but totally different ball game to your grandad's day as you will know J.D. .Also aint many youngsters getting involved.

Not so sure about that mate i recently helped the son of an old pal of mine get himself set up and he reckons theres quite a few youngsters involved,apparently one of the top racers down these parts is only in his 20,s.......i thought it was an old mans game but apparently not.

Pigeon racing is still going good but totally different ball game to your grandad's day as you will know J.D. .Also aint many youngsters getting involved.

Not so sure about that mate i recently helped the son of an old pal of mine get himself set up and he reckons theres quite a few youngsters involved,apparently one of the top racers down these parts is only in his 20,s.......i thought it was an old mans game but apparently not.

That's great to hear mate and long may it continue. Up here their is a few youngsters but compared to years gone by the sport is a shadow of what it was. Im not a flyer but have always been about pigeon men . I think the only thing that stopped me getting in was the dogs. You got to be dedicated to the pigeon job and they rule your life. Some 1st class stockman amongst the pigeon boys. Well I aint getting many answers about these milers am I . Hope all the knowledge about them aint died with the old timers.