Sea Fishing Lures

I noticed you mentioned eddystone eels newkid. Do many on here still use them? How do they compare to more modern stuff?

I got some in recently more out of nostalgia than anything as I always remember my grandads trolling rod permanently having one dangling off the end of it, that was about 30 years ago mind

Edited by Slippery_Weasel

I noticed you mentioned eddystone eels newkid. Do many on here still use them? How do they compare to more modern stuff?

I got some in recently more out of nostalgia than anything as I always remember my grandads trolling rod permanently having one dangling off the end of it, that was about 30 years ago mind

There's a full range out now of different types of eddystone and redgills... they have moved with the times, savage and sidewinders would of left them behind else.

I had a few small bass on little weighted redgills, in the teign estuary last year eddystone do a very similar type.

Years ago on charter boats the only thing we used was black, orange or red regills for pollack, cod etc.... now you harly see anyone using them, i've boxes full of the old type, but still go for a sidewinder first.. has the fish changed or the angler?

Next trip I might fish regills all day and see how they compare....... well up until someone is smashing them on sidewinders lol

Not done much night spinning myself, but I'd imagine it would work, fish actively hunt at night.

something with a lot of vibration/movement would be my choice.

Have caught them on live eels after dark, fish are attracted by more than just sight, they can feel movement through there lateral line so if you can present a lure with enough movement to attract and excite the fish then no reason why it shouldn't attack the lure.

• Like 1

There's a full range out now of different types of eddystone and redgills... they have moved with the times, savage and sidewinders would of left them behind else.

I had a few small bass on little weighted redgills, in the teign estuary last year eddystone do a very similar type.

Years ago on charter boats the only thing we used was black, orange or red regills for pollack, cod etc.... now you harly see anyone using them, i've boxes full of the old type, but still go for a sidewinder first.. has the fish changed or the angler?

Next trip I might fish regills all day and see how they compare....... well up until someone is smashing them on sidewinders lol

Thanks for the response mate, I havnt managed to have a bash at the bass yet after having just got back into it after a long break last summer. Hopefully will sort myself some trips further south this summer or maybe to the welsh coast. I will have to have a browse for some newer alternatives lol to have something in reserve

thanks again

• Like 1

got loads on surface lures at night ,,paint them black ;)

Nice one mate, is that on popping plugs?

chug bugs are good

Cheers mate, might well give that a whirl, be something new for me

we use plugs with a good rattle on them or poppers at night in padstow harbour at night. been some good bass caught doing this. later in the year is best for this. I have caught pollack spinning frozen sandeels at night as well. I think fish can see/sense more than we imagine.

• Like 1