well I finally had enough of my best ewe constantly escaping, jumping out, destroying fences even from the goat pen which has 8 foot fencing....

So she went on a little trip, and comes back on Thursday as chops and joints (we'll see if she can escape the freezer!)

However she had the finest fleece of all my sheep (and was my first registerable sheep from my flock, sod's law) so I got the slaughterman to save and salt the skin for me.

I have scraped and fleshed till my hands can take no more. The skin is now in a salt acid solution for 3 days. Never done this before so fingers crossed eh?

I sent 9 skins away to be tanned last year, they spoiled 8 and I am still waiting on the 9th to be returned :(

I figure even if I ruin it, at least I'll learn something.

I will keep you updated :D

I have a couple of crossbreds ewes, their lambs are for meat, the rest are pedigree and I have a Registered ram, so for the pure breds I can wait and see how they turn out looks wise and behaviour wise.

If they have a crap fleece, are poor mothers, are too flighty, show aggression to me, have foot problems etc they are freezer material.

They are very easy to keep, they clear land of weeds and ragwort, they rear their lambs with ease, slaughter ready at 6 months, but tastiest at 18 months.

This is the first problem I have had with one getting out on a regular basis.

Only ever had to help one birth, you can hand pull (roo) their fleeces rather than shear them, which as a spinner means no cut ends spoiling my yarn!

Being small no one wants to nick em either which is a bonus!

What weight do you butch your lambs? Do you fatten them on feed or can you get them away just on grass? I think they taste best about 18 month I usually put a shearling weather that's been up on a a heathery bit of fell I have it's better than anything you'll get in a shop I think. I register my tups I breed but not my ewes.

I shear a lot threw the summer but I've never heard of rooing do you do that in the summer or when they start to thrive again in the spring and you get a break in the wool?

Edited by Blackdog92

I don't weigh mine as a rule as usually they are only going in my freezer, i go by eye and condition. Or behaviour! The last hogg I sent came back as joints and chops weighing 25 kg not to shabby for a little sheep.

I don't feed cake really just a few nuts in a bucket once a week or so to keep them keen on following the bucket.

I give em hay when the weather is bad.

You can see when to start rooing, and they will begin to shed at the wool break. Usually around late April. If it's still cold at lambing i will roo out the ewes, they feel the cold then and head for shelter when it is very wet, taking the lambs with them ;) I find the lambs very hardy, but not keen on damp bellies! I always give em somewhere with a dry floor to rest on if they choose.

What sheep do you keep? Do you have shetlands too?

I thought that's what it would be. No I don't keep Shetlands I farm herdwicks and cheviots in the lake district. I do no of a farmer who bought a couple shetlands for his wife and he turned them out to the fell with the rest of his flock and he couldnt gather them back home for 3 years so when he did finally get them back they went straight to the Market haha.

Yup 25 kg was what I got back as eatables :)

Could I buy a herdwick fleece or 2 from you this coming shearing please? I LOVE making felt and spinning and the coarse herdy fleece is such a change from the shetties fleece, and a lot stronger for more hardworking items (in fact don't tell anyone but I have extended some of my dreadlocks with felted herdwick roving ;))

What do you do with their skins from your meat animals?

Again if ever you tan them/have them tanned I would very much like to buy one, herdy is a skin i don't have yet but is way up there on my wish list, that and a wensleydale skin :wub:

Never heard of a springbok before is it a english breed or continental? Them shetlands are hardy sheep they dot take much keeping do they.

She's joking,mate . Springbok is a type of African antelope,known for its jumping ability.Also the nickname of the South African rugby team.

• Like 1