Junior Setups/ Spring Or Air

Hi Guys/Gals,

So i went out today and purchased my young un his first rifle (spring)

Set me back £115.00 with an half decent scope.

GAMO .177 Junior, seemed bang on in the shop but during a practice sesh today it became quite clear quickly that the gun is to big for him even though i was told it was a junior gun and no smaller versions are available, lets just say the re-coil banged the scope in his eye oppps, strange as my S200 doesnt have re-coil but this little 177 does? Uhh!

I am gonna ttrade it back in next weekend when the shop opens again but i dont mind paying over the odds for a proper version that is shorter than the average gun?

Any Ideas???

Cheers in advance

Chris :hmm:

strange as my S200 doesnt have re-coil but this little 177 does? Uhh!
s200 is a pcp so no recoil, gamo is spring rifle so will recoil, if its smacks you in the eye your to close :thumbs:

a shorter break barrel will be harder to cock though, so you might not be gaining anything.

Edited by treecreeper

strange as my S200 doesnt have re-coil but this little 177 does? Uhh!

s200 is a pcp so no recoil, gamo is spring rifle so will recoil, if its smacks you in the eye your to close :thumbs:

Yeh i get that and it was my young lad that that was hit in the eye with the scope we showed him the correct way to hold and shoot but as this gun is to big he must have leaned into the scope a little to much and slap, he wasnt hurt but if the gun is to big then i need to get a shorter version to prevent him leaning in as he cannot fit the gun into his shoulder due to the length of it..

P.S rememeber i am new to this, i may be able to shoot pretty good but my knowledge is crap! so bare with me :)

Cheers

ah apologies I was thinking the barrel too long not well up on gamos tbh, where did you get it from? macavoys will let you take them back in the first month I think if it doesn't suit.

Yes Macavoys, I will have to take it back if its not right otherwise it will put him off shooting, he wants my gun haha not a chance :)

Take the young one with you and try a few to see what suits the lad some of the older bsa lightnings are good

and so are the wheahrock ones as well but will cost a fare bit more

like i say,d take him with you or you may be running back and forward to the rfd

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited by bigmac 97kt

Take the young one with you and try a few to see what suits the lad some of the older bsa lightnings are good

and so are the wheahrock are as well but will cost a fare bit more

like i say,d take him with you or you may be running back and forward to the rfd

Sound advice thanks mac, i took him with me today and the guy in the shop recommended the Gamo and it seemed to fit but shooting it is a bit different than just holding it up..

I was actually looking at the BSA Lightening before pricey mind but a much shorter rifle..

and so are the wheahrock are as well but will cost a fare bit more

Sound advice thanks mac, i took him with me today and the guy in the shop recommended the Gamo and it seemed to fit but shooting it is a bit different than just holding it up..

I was actually looking at the BSA Lightening before pricey mind but a much shorter rifle..

Just make sure you get one of the older one,s if you do get one as there made hear and not abroad

and i think there gas ram now

could be wrong mind about the gas ram

but if you get a spring version and get it tuned and polished it will be smooth and next to no recoil

And dont let the rfd push some thing on you that is no bloody good its your money not his until you hand it over

Or why dont you get him a ultra you can get a single shot one for around £370 or a little bit more then get a springer once he is into it

i no you should teach him with a springer first but if he is wanting to shoot yours now then that may be the other way to go

• Like 1

stop being a tight arse and give him the 200 and get a 97 or 77 :thumbs::laugh:

Hard to argue with this! But seriously Mac is right,take him to the guns and let him shoulder a few,see which he gets on with then you make the call on selecting the best of those,or as a last resort sort of option could you buy a cheap or used rifle and cut the stock down a bit??