Heavy Loads In A Sxs

Thinking about fox drives where I can't use a semi auto, I'm wondering about the best carts to use in my SxS game gun. It's got 70mm/2:3/4 chambers, and the barrels are marked 850 Bares. I've got a selection of old 36 gram loads like alphamax etc, but I don't know if the pressure of these cartridges are within the pressure limits of my gun, or will it be ok with any lead loaded 2:3/4 inch cartrides regardless of the load? Are higher pressure cartridges restricted 3 inch and above? Question is, recoil aside, will alphamax and similar be ok?

Yes 36 gr Alphamax or similar are fine, that said they'll kick something fierce in a light S/S, but you won't be firing that many.

I used to shoot with a now disbanded Fox Beagle pack in Cornwall and most of us used Semi-autos, because of the reduced recoil

when using heavy shells and of course 3 shots instead of 2 also the gun can be easily fitted with a sling to carry it with (as you do a

lot more 'carrying' than shooting).

We didn't have any issues using semi's, I have S/S and O/U as well and use these when game shooting, but Foxing and Decoying I

always use my trusty old Beretta A 303.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I would normally use my semi auto and magnum cartridges for this, but they aren't allowed on these fox drives we'll be doing. Just needed to know if the heavier 2:3/4 carts would be ok in my sxs. I'll get my shoulder pad ready then,lol......

A lot of formal shoots have safety worries. Stupid really as chamber flags are all that's needed to re-assure and ensure visual / actual safety.

You could always ask them if it would be allowed with a chamber flag.

Besides there's plenty of idiots with double barrelled. I've been unfortunate enough to meet a couple myself. Nearly been shot twice in my life - once with a rifle .22lr on a pass through by someone who should have known better than to take a shot with someone forward of themselves, albeit out to the side and out of sight, but nevertheless he knew I was on the land somewhere ahead, and the other by an idiot with a double barrelled on a formal pheasant shoot who thought it would be a good idea to climb up and along the trunk of a wet fallen tree with a loaded closed gun and shoot pheasant from the top of the trunk. Needless to say, he slipped and the gun went off in a very unintended direction although luckily high enough to avoid any injuries.....! I was a guest otherwise personally I'd have seen him kicked out. Total idiot and not fit to hold a certificate. (Oh and by the way, he shouldn't have climbed the log full stop with any gun - the closed loaded barrel bit was just really to emphasis how stupid he was, but the initial action of climbing a slippery / unstable surface with a loaded gun in any state, was the real ace here). Needless to say, one shoot I never went back to.

That's why personally, I'd rather shoot rough with a single friend side by side as at least you know if you can trust the person you're with and have better control and warning of the dangers if they're along with you.

As for fox, I'd use the heaviest load you're proofed for. You can't overkill it and with a larger quarry, it's much better to respect it by having something more than capable of doing the job. 1's or BB are ideal. 3's-AA all OK. Just remember more hits are often better than 1 or 2 hits with super large shot especially at range as the pattern thins.

..and watch your back on the shoot if rough shooting as the above proves there are idiots out there.

Edited by Alsone

These fellas pretty much know what they're doing but they just don't like anybody using autos on any drive. I've got to respect that. When I'm out on my own or with a couple of mates, we'll mostly use autos for vermin etc.

Thanks for the replies.