International Conference on aboriginal dogs

Guest Vladimir

Guest Vladimir

I attended the first international conference on aboriginal dogs of the world in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Tazy (same as Saluki breed) was among central topics of discussions. Falconry is their national tradition in Kazakhstan. They use golden eagles and Saluki and the hunter is on the horseback. They hunt foxes and hares with their Saluki dogs.

Here is another picture from Kazakhstan.

post-11795-1193961364_thumb.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Vladimir
thats interesting.

brilliant picture.

do those native hunters have good control over the salukis i wonder?

i mean hows the recall and retrieving with them?

Tis varies. They keep the dogs and the eagle so they could see each other almost constantly. This is important so the eagle would not grab the dog during the hunt. When hunting, the hunter is on the horseback and hurries towards the place, where the quarry is caught. They also us a combination of Laika (sometimes Fox Terrier) and Saluki to hund badger. When the badger is on the open, their Saluki bay it and often even kill it. Here is another "politically incorrect" picture from Kazakhstan. They have a different specis of hare called tolai. Tolai is fast and extremely fast on making sharp turns. The Saluki must be exceptionally agile and capable of sharp turns to catch it.

By the way, In Kazakhstan meeting, two person were from Britain, Sir Terence Clark and Mark McBride.

post-11795-1193999754_thumb.jpg

No worries, It is an interessting thread, and I only ask as I was interessted to learn how different

the history and dna of the north african sloughi is to the saluki, ext, so just interessed if the game dictates the shape ext.

Also, the Tazi seems smaller, more compact, than its low desert cousins,

Excellent thread Vladimir, thanks for posting.

Really interesting stuff, any more pics or info on the conference?

So does the saluki course the quarry and the Eagle nail it?

Cheers again for posting :thumbs: :thumbs:

This could be an interesting thread folks, so please no arguments. :thumbs:

Not arguing Frank, as Sir Terrance who was at the conference will tell you,Tazi,Afghan,sloughi etc are just regional variations of the saluki type adapted to whatever game and terrain their running :thumbs:

E.G In his article in Gail Goodmans "saluki coursing hound of the east" he discovered on his travels in the middle east the king of morroco and the saudi,s regularly eaxchange hounds :yes:

He goes on to display various pictures of different hounds from Turckey(tazi),Morroco(sloughi),africa(Awzaki) and you cant tell the difference :)