Labrador Colours

Thanks for the opinions,doesnt surprise me at all really its how it is with most sport/working dogs why would Labs be any different i guess......surprises me a little bit that they are simply not as healthy and prone to pile on weight more than the regular colours but like i said its a mate who just wants a sensible dog thats going to withstand long walks and fancied a chocolate Lab he,s not a complete idiot though and is now looking for a black one so ta for the advice chaps :thumbs:

There has never been a Chocolate lab made up to FTCh, that says it all really, some are used in competition but only rarely as the chocolate gene is more prolific in the show strains of the breed, the two types of dog are completely different, often crossed, this is where the colour may come from in some working pedigrees.

Coat colour is personal preference but buyer beware with the chocolate gene as they don't show the same natural ability as blacks and yellows, but then there are always exceptions to every rule!

All Labradors are greedy and easily put weight on if not exercised properly, more so than some other breeds, they all are generally excellent pets but some excel more than others when trained properly.

Most important thing to consider is a healthy pup from proven parents with low hip scores regardless of colour, just be aware that the chocolates are often from a show background rather than a working strain.

Sussex get your facts right first there were chocolate genes in Labradors well before showing started but they were not really desirable so were often culled.There are chocolate field trial champions 2 have ran in the retriever championship in the past, Grangemead Flint was one of them.The biggest problem is generally speaking the trailers do not trial them.I was of the same opinion then had one show up in a litter I bred and decided to give her a go she is three now and I have problems keeping weight on her she is very fast intelligent soft mouthed and a good worker so perhaps I have the exception to the rule.

There has never been a Chocolate lab made up to FTCh, that says it all really, some are used in competition but only rarely as the chocolate gene is more prolific in the show strains of the breed, the two types of dog are completely different, often crossed, this is where the colour may come from in some working pedigrees.

Coat colour is personal preference but buyer beware with the chocolate gene as they don't show the same natural ability as blacks and yellows, but then there are always exceptions to every rule!

All Labradors are greedy and easily put weight on if not exercised properly, more so than some other breeds, they all are generally excellent pets but some excel more than others when trained properly.

Most important thing to consider is a healthy pup from proven parents with low hip scores regardless of colour, just be aware that the chocolates are often from a show background rather than a working strain.

Sussex get your facts right first there were chocolate genes in Labradors well before showing started but they were not really desirable so were often culled.There are chocolate field trial champions 2 have ran in the retriever championship in the past, Grangemead Flint was one of them.The biggest problem is generally speaking the trailers do not trial them.I was of the same opinion then had one show up in a litter I bred and decided to give her a go she is three now and I have problems keeping weight on her she is very fast intelligent soft mouthed and a good worker so perhaps I have the exception to the rule.

Agree with the above. I have a friend who works one and it surpasses his previous Black lab. If you lined a yellow bitch with a black dog both from long working lines they could throw a chocolate pup so how exactly would the colour change the working ability? The hunting society have a thing about yellows and blacks so that isnt going to change hence there arent many chocs working. chocs are usually kept as pets and not worked so they can become overweight, that is not because of the colour it is the owner!!! In my village there is a few fat labs and not one of them is chocolate! As I said before I think you get out what you put in. Those who think chocs cant work are wrong. To start it is the line that creates the dog then the training MAKES it. If you buy a lab from working lines itll be a worker regardless of colour. If you buy one that had fat pet labs as dam and sire then keep it as a pet chances are itll make a fat pet lab regardless of colour!

• 4 weeks later...

If they want it for walks in the countryside then the colour makes zero difference. In fact a show bred lazy thing is probably what they want or it could drive them mad!

If they want it to work occasionally then again - colour is not important.

If you want something that will graft and work to a high standard you are on balance probably better going with yellow or black (in the same way you are better with a yellow / black lab than a Golden / Flatcoat retriever, because there are more to choose from!). Not saying you don't get chocolates that will do the work, you just have less choice!

Basically if they want a chocolate for a pet and the odd day ................ go for it!

Dan

Hi Sion

That's a bummer I am looking for a nice chocolate dog that is working bred I have a bitch that is a bit slimmer than yours and finding the right chocolate dog is difficult.Where and how is she bred, I was brought up in Tywyn so not far from you