Heideterrier

Any where and in any country of the world, in my opion. Welsh or English Fox hounds will find, hunt and bring to bay any animal. Maybe not close and hold by force. So cross Bulldog or modern show blood in ? No. Better stay with hounds and be selective with the stallions put to gamest bitches. Then you have Boar Hounds.

• Like 1

This is very interestng. I'd never heard or read about this type before. I'm a little bit envious that people have access to game and land enough to be able to develop a new " breed " to perform a task that has been done since records began. What is it with boar hounds ? Our friends in USA and South America have developed " new " breeds. In Australia there seem to be fine dogs that are a mix of mostly European breeds that aren't really still regarded as hunting dogs in their country of origin. Why is there not such a thing as The Boar Hound ?

The Plott hound (originally bred in Germany and since developed in the USA) is a big game hunting hound. Hound hunters in the States also use Running Walkers, July and Redbone hounds for big game hunting. Check out www.biggamehoundsmen.com.

The bull Arab and other Australian breeds were developed to hunt, find and hold feral pigs single handed.

It may be a big hound could get up and bay too quickly, I think a lot of the boar hunts favour smaller dogs as the boar can be driven into the guns without being surrounded by dogs.

When driving to guns small terriers/teckels are favoured. If hunting monteria style then baying hounds/curs with a walked in catch dog are used in the US. The antipodeans seem to favour running catch (or 'one out') dogs.

It may be a big hound could get up and bay too quickly, I think a lot of the boar hunts favour smaller dogs as the boar can be driven into the guns without being surrounded by dogs.

I've owned several foxhounds / fell hounds they are very good at chasing feral pigs away and the hounds will follow in hot pursuit giving voice all the way. herding dogs make much better finding / bailing dogs. Pig hunting dogs come in to types hunt / lug dogs and hunt / bail dogs. In Australia many different types of dog will do either job so a boar hound most hunters would not like any form of standardisation however there is moves in some quarters for the bull arab to be standardised into a breed, my personal opinion they would be better served by concentrating on breeding better workers.

• Like 1

Working dogs that are to big is a big risk in tight cover because they cant go out of the wat when they are attacked they will also get lots of more damage then the smaller dogs who are often smashed away. i have seen some heideterriers of other terrier men in Germany they loose a bit of the good nose from the jagd but will catch a boar faster.

• Like 1

I still ask the question, why is there no such thing as a Boar Hound ? Since the times when hunting became as much for sport rather than as a need to catch something to eat I think the wild boar, along with deer, was the most important and most hunted animal.

There was one developed in the area that became Germany. Now known as the Great Dane but came from hounds/mastiffs developed in Germany as a boar hound. The dogs we have now going by that name are different of course, having been bred for size only and not ability to hunt boar. But they were developed for that task by people who had no limits regarding time and money. But the German boar hound is no more, maybe because of two world wars. Or were they no good anyway ?

The reason that the people who hunt the wild pig seem to coninue to cross breed and experiment is for the same reasons we breed lurchers in Britian. Hare, rabbit, fox, deer, we hunt them in differing terrain and have differing expectations. Sport, food, control. Which cross, which type or breed is the best ?

The wild pig has been hunted for 10's of thousands of years by man. Have been helped by dogs for the last few thousand. Heideterriers are just another chapter ?

• Like 1