Instant Dislike

I've always bein around lurchers and kept lurchers I currently have a very handy team of 3/8 5/8 Bullgreyhounds stylish racey types with Which i enjoy lamping and ferreting with they are extremely well behaved and I enjoy what I do with them as they have taught me a lot however I've been attenting shoot days with a friend which I have been doing for the last two years and watched him pick up and hold a beating line and he has a cracking n team of dogs as this is what I evolve my time around after admiring from the side lines I purchased my first FTCH bred lab which with the help of a freind i will train to the best of my ablility into a dog which i could pick ip with on shoot days he is currently ten weeks old but my oldest lurcher hates him and doesn't give him the time of day ? Does anyone think they will ever be able to be kenneled together ? Any advice or similar previous experince would be appreciated

yeh don't kennel it with that dog, just take them on walks together , at 1st the introduce them bit more around the kennel, but still keep them apart.its not fair on the pup ,becauseall the pup will want to do is play with the older dog, you know the other dog not keen on the pup, so don't do it. if the older as go at the pup apart from killing it, it will put the pup off (all) other dogs , not worth the risk in my book :yes: I kennel my dogs separate so they got there own space if need be, they are together but thet can still go in separate kennels if they want, you young pup might not have that choice .!

• Like 5

like the other 2 posts ,don't kennel them at the moment,the old dog will kill the pup.introduce them bit at a time.walk the pup on the lead when you take out the other dog or dogs,keep the lab pup on the lead even when you let the other dogs off for a run,this will do two things it will help to make the pup steady and feel safe being with you,the other dogs natural curiosity will kick in and they will come up to the pup,keep like this for awhile,but you must make sure the dogs all know that YOU are the Alfa dog and that the new pup is both accepted and protected by you,theye ill soon sort out a pecking order.

• 1 month later...

the lurcher might behave while you are about, but its an unacceptable risk when you are away, this can be caused by the dogs having too small a run, having too many dogs for your experience and jealousy creeping in, or taking poor advice in the dogs earlier years, a working lurcher is a killer, once it focuses its dislike on something it can be very difficult to sort it

When I got pup my lurcher wouldn't even look at her and as I only had the one kennel I put the two together the lucher let her sleep in with her but still wouldn't interact with her but after a week or to they got on great and when out walking they would race around playing it just for them to get used to each other

I had the same problem with a pup I bred, I kept a pup back out of a litter. For the first 8/10 weeks my bitch couldn't have been better with her pups, but after that she hated the pup that I kept back and I mean hated, I couldn't let her near the pup ! I kept them apart and slowly introduced them to each other again. Now my pup is 13 months old. The pup and her mum are now best of friends.

MoChara had issues when I brought Jerry-lee home, let's just say he thought I'd just brought in a beef dinner not a deerhound x.

Like bird says walks together, and introductions that's safe is what worked for me. It's not a simple fix and takes patience from you and the dogs.

Now MoChara and Jerry-Lee sleep in the same box, they will not sleep separately at all now not for the want of me trying lol they have the odd tiff when out if one hurts the other in some silly way, but jerry lee knows MoCharas the more 'dominant' one even though he towers over him in height/weight, he still respects old Mo :laugh:

BUT that's my story, not yours. Every dogs different, so don't expect similar results.