Next question, longnet ends?

Tyla

The net has arrived, it looks good to me and im chuffed.

What do i co next, how do the ends go? Do you put rings on the end like a purse net or attach to a stake?

Also any tips on putting into the bag and laying out without all the bagging ending up at one end? Do you attach the net to top and bottom lines at interval, if so what interval?

Thanks in advance :thumbs:

What do i co next, how do the ends go? Do you put rings on the end like a purse net or attach to a stake?

Also any tips on putting into the bag and laying out without all the bagging ending up at one end? Do you attach the net to top and bottom lines at interval, if so what interval?

Net ends, well I used to put them on a ring, then thought , why have the last six feet of net at both ends not working. Now I tie a knot , actually a double knot in my top and bottom bands and thread a piece of slip cord the same as the bands through the end mesh and make it the same length as the setting height, though it's not critical. I tie it to the bands between the previously tied knots this stops it moving. The two end pegs are then at the end of the net and you've no net tapering down to nowt.

Net ends, well I used to put them on a ring, then thought , why have the last six feet of net at both ends not working. Now I tie a knot , actually a double knot in my top and bottom bands and thread a piece of slip cord the same as the bands through the end mesh and make it the same length as the setting height, though it's not critical. I tie it to the bands between the previously tied knots this stops it moving. The two end pegs are then at the end of the net and you've no net tapering down to nowt.

Sounds reasonable, thanks. :signthankspin: What about fixing the net to the top and bottom lines?

Another tip, pick up the tightest end first, then on your next set, it will be tight as you finish dropping and you can pull bag towards you.

So it would be a bad idea to attach it anywhere? Sorry to keep on but i want to get it right in my head as i have a day off tomorrow and i want to do a few practice sets so all advice greatfully rec eived :notworthy:

Tyla,

Dont put purse net rings on the ends of your net or stakes.You should have a knot formed through your last selvedge mesh on the end of your net, on the bottom and top line.Undo this knot, which should be a double overhand knot. Pull the line through so you have approx 4ft of loose line, top and bottom, Both ends of your net. Re tie selvedge knot. Then pass top line through the circle in your end pin, then tie this line to the other line, this enables the end pin to find its own centre on the lines. So looking at your net at the end pin section when set, the bottom line will run parallel to the ground, whereas the top line comes down at about a 45 degree angle. Both end pins are fitted the same.

You can tie the bagging in on a traditional set long net. If you are going to use 100% bagging in your net, that means 100yds of tight net on 50yds of lines. Net set 50yd.

Place end pin in ground walk 50yds letting the net fall off the other end pin, pull lines tight (not too tight) place end pin in ground. If you then place 1st pole in ground by your lines in first position, then walk 8 paces, place 2nd pole in ground, then walk another 8 paces and put 3rd pole in ground.

Now take net and slide it along the lines away from you towards your 2nd end pin, you should now have 24 paces of long net which looks like a purse net ready to be folded up, no loose mesh. At the 3rd pole put your finger through selvedge mesh on the top line. Now just dragging mesh back to 2nd pole this will rig your net so it has 100% bag.Tie this selvedge mesh onto the top line with some white wool and a darning needle. Dont cut the ends off close. Do exactly the same with your bottom line and selvedge mesh. Repeat this procedure till you get to the end of the net. When you are setting your net at night or in the daytime, the white wool will show you where to place your poles, also, if any of the mesh has shot over the tieing in point and you need to pull it back you will be able to see.

Hope this is some help to you.

Master Hunter

Tyla,

Dont put purse net rings on the ends of your net or stakes.You should have a knot formed through your last selvedge mesh on the end of your net, on the bottom and top line.Undo this knot, which should be a double overhand knot. Pull the line through so you have approx 4ft of loose line, top and bottom, Both ends of your net. Re tie selvedge knot. Then pass top line through the circle in your end pin, then tie this line to the other line, this enables the end pin to find its own centre on the lines. So looking at your net at the end pin section when set, the bottom line will run parallel to the ground, whereas the top line comes down at about a 45 degree angle. Both end pins are fitted the same.

You can tie the bagging in on a traditional set long net. If you are going to use 100% bagging in your net, that means 100yds of tight net on 50yds of lines. Net set 50yd.

Place end pin in ground walk 50yds letting the net fall off the other end pin, pull lines tight (not too tight) place end pin in ground. If you then place 1st pole in ground by your lines in first position, then walk 8 paces, place 2nd pole in ground, then walk another 8 paces and put 3rd pole in ground.

Now take net and slide it along the lines away from you towards your 2nd end pin, you should now have 24 paces of long net which looks like a purse net ready to be folded up, no loose mesh. At the 3rd pole put your finger through selvedge mesh on the top line. Now just dragging mesh back to 2nd pole this will rig your net so it has 100% bag.Tie this selvedge mesh onto the top line with some white wool and a darning needle. Dont cut the ends off close. Do exactly the same with your bottom line and selvedge mesh. Repeat this procedure till you get to the end of the net. When you are setting your net at night or in the daytime, the white wool will show you where to place your poles, also, if any of the mesh has shot over the tieing in point and you need to pull it back you will be able to see.

Master Hunter

Thanks MH, the end pins are metal spikes with a hoop on right? :icon_redface: i will give it a go tomorrow and maybe post pics of my progress

Tyla,

Master Hunter

Thanks MH, the end pins are metal spikes with a hoop on right? :icon_redface: i will give it a go tomorrow and maybe post pics of my progress

Tyla,

you are right on the end pins. Made from about 3/8 round steel bar stainless is best , 9"points with about a 4 1/2" circle. Welded together. They look like the number 9 but with a straight tail. (point) good luck tommorrow you can ring me during the day if you get stuck 01980 610366

When you are setting your net at night or in the daytime, the white wool will show you where to place your poles

In my opinion if you can see these little bits of white wool at night then it's probably too light to be long-netting anyway :hmm: Unless you're using them as stop nets during a spot of moonlit ferreting of course!!

Once your bag is tied in it's not imperative that the poles sit at the tie-in points. Tieing the bag in is only to stop it gathering at one end of the lines when your laying it / collecting it in anyway. If you've a 50 yard net then you'll net 11 poles (imo), each set at about 5 yards apart - that's 6 paces for me in the dark :thumbs: Once you've set your net the poles will, in effect, do the same job as the ties.

But don't worry about the finer details too much, get your net together and get some practice in during the daytime. Once you've mastered the setting technique it's time to learn where to set the net. A well set net will catch rabbits, so will a badly set one (tho maybe not quite so many) - a net set in the right place will catch rabbits, a net set in the wrong place wont :thumbs:

Good luck.

Thats a bonus!

Now does anyone have any tricks to untangle it once its got horribly twisted? :icon_redface:

Being the moron that i am, i have set up half of it but as i went along the net i had to untwist it - this rather unsuprisingly has resulted in the middle building up into massive snarl up. is there any other way than forcing the twist all the way to the end? My generous bagging is on either side of the mess and is making it a nghtmare to untwist. :wallbash::wallbash:

:icon_redface: HELP!!! :icon_redface::notworthy::notworthy: