Labrador Colours

Yellows should not be bred to chocolates in my opinion. The puppies will most likely have horrible light eyes and poor pigment. Red Fox colour is yellow. Its not a separate colour, its just dark yellow.

To stand a better chance of good coloured chocolate with dark eyes and pigment, I would suggest using a black dog that carries chocolate.

Edited by Dawn B

I know the lad who owns bitch,shes a great worker and I haven't seen many chocolate labs work at all,its his good friends red dog and he wanted a pup,but as no one they knew had done those 2 colours before,they didn't want faults or bad pups so that's why the thread was started in the first place,and I really don't think it is about the pound notes as someone said,thats why question was asked first,,,

As much chance of getting faults in two yellows or 2 blacks. You pick your pup and take your chance.

Colour isn't an issue when it comes to working them so line them if there worth it and see what happens.

Well obviously the OP as interested in what colours they would be.. Lab genetics are not difficult to understand and its not only about one part of a dog, its about breeding the whole package. i do love some of the posts on here where everybody dives in and talks about colour and looks and then every single ad that comes up for pups or dogs the very first things asked are "any pictures?" "what colours?" Who gives a stuff about what colour they are and what they look like if they can chase a bunny, right????

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well obviously the OP as interested in what colours they would be.. Lab genetics are not difficult to understand and its not only about one part of a dog, its about breeding the whole package. i do love some of the posts on here where everybody dives in and talks about colour and looks and then every single ad that comes up for pups or dogs the very first things asked are "any pictures?" "what colours?" Who gives a stuff about what colour they are and what they look like if they can chase a bunny, right????

now that's not really true would you like too drive let's say 100 miles too see about pups and there full of mange and worms when a quick photo can give you a better chance of knowing the pups are in k health not saying fake photos can't be sent but at least gives you a better chance of getting a wrong one and saving your £15 quid in petrol and your time just too say I can see were your coming from about folk that are that way

A photo can hide a mass of things, they show very little really. Id want to speak in person to the breeder and would NEVER consider buying from a picture alone.

Regards colours. Yes you can know what colours will be in a litter. A dominant black male will only throw black puppies to any colour, dominant yellow the same. Its all in the genes!