After the rimmy

trappa, you'll love the .17hmr, but there is a crack even with a mod on. headshot's only as the bullet will not do the damage it needs on a body shot unless perfect and about the 100 yard mark, with practise you should get 1/2 inch groups with the right .17hmr, they do about 2600fps,

get yourself a good scope with a fine cross-hair and your elected,

check out. www.varmintal.net/17hmr.htm

knowing the distance is the key, so a second hand or new rangefinder is the way to go........ :thumbs:

Absolute spot on advice .However i would never take a Fox @ 130 yds with a HMR .Certainly alot closer yes but it's no dedicated Fox calibre IMO :no:

Each to their own and no offence intended . :)

i have a 22lr which i use for rabbit control on the night. as the hmr is a little loud i find on the night.

but i do use a 17 hmr in the day for rabbits. and crows on the ground. the hmr is a great little round and it all depends on where im shooting over. i take both rifles if im in the 4x4 with my friend as you never no which one you mite need :victory: as for centrefire im going for one in 5 to 6 months time and im going to get a 223 i was thinking about a 22/250 but i hear they are louder and the rounds are more to buy then 223. and as im not going to be reloading, and dont need the extra distance of 22/250 there is no need for me to get one. ive been looking round some 223's in the gun shops

and im going for a tikka t3 tactial like my friend as all ready. i like it because it looks and feels nice. its got adjustable stock good trigger as standard, its a heavy barrel and the barrel is only 20 inchs so it not long like the sako 75 i was looking at.

and i no they are tack drivers out the box. ive seen my friend drop a fox at 280 yards with a head shot ! and he wouldnt have done this if he wasnt sure with the rifle. the rifle has accounted for 26 foxes in the last 6 outtings so thats the rifle im going for. if you want to shoot foxes the hmr will drop them i no mine would and as long as you no the set up of your rifle then thats great. but for a proper foxing rifle i would go for a centrefire it gives you more power and you can take the foxes behind the front legs to where a hmr wouldnt really be used imo. :thumbs:

trappa, you'll love the .17hmr, but there is a crack even with a mod on. headshot's only as the bullet will not do the damage it needs on a body shot unless perfect and about the 100 yard mark, with practise you should get 1/2 inch groups with the right .17hmr, they do about 2600fps,

get yourself a good scope with a fine cross-hair and your elected,

check out. www.varmintal.net/17hmr.htm

knowing the distance is the key, so a second hand or new rangefinder is the way to go........ :thumbs:

Absolute spot on advice .However i would never take a Fox @ 130 yds with a HMR .Certainly alot closer yes but it's no dedicated Fox calibre IMO :no:

Each to their own and no offence intended . :)

dead ive, no offence taken and in my posts before this one i would never recommend the hmr. as a fox gun but if its going to be only the odd time, then yes, but nothing makes way for knowing what the round will do. a good scope, adjustable elevation work out drop tables practice, i would never take a body shot with the hmr, head only, i've had one of the first hmr's in ireland, and for a little gun it sure does the job, great for everything but not ideal for foxes, so if only the odd time know your limits and enjoy. :bye: