In The Sedge Grass. . My Favorite Place To Hunt With The Dogs.

Guest vin

On some of the spots I go ferreting there's sedge grass patches where the rabbits like to get tucked up inside,almost like warrens but not below ground,they sort of tunnel through the grass making runs and areas they get laid up in.. etc etc.

When I'm ferreting,dogs often go hunting up in these areas while i stand above watching the action from a birds eye view.

Some days the ferrets will bolt a few and they will be caught and a few may get away into the sedge or through a wall etc etc.

what often happens is,,the ferrets bolt a few and dog or dogs catch a few and miss a few..then the ferret connects below and the spade is out..at this point the dogs starts looking at the far off grasses below and a calling of the wind begs it to go and follow the scents...lol... the old dog starts whining at me quietly to leave her post...and the young dog is usually staring me out begging for a chance to go hunting.. How can you refuse when all your doing is digging a hole..? lol.

So off they go like a pair of pointers looking for grouse... but they're not and will completely ignore all feathered critters while on the scents of rabbits.(which is a bonus when the keepers are watching you )

Often by the time i have retrieved the ferret and rabbit/s from below ground the dogs have also brought me a bonus bunny from there hunting trip..lol.

When the dog gets a good mark in the cover its a joy to watch the hunt unfold sometimes. . .Its probably the finest form of hunting with dog I get to see these days.. I just wish i could film it in HD..lol.

Here's a little example of how sneaky the dogs are now especially when I work them together... When one has a strong mark it stops there on point and then the other dog comes around to see whats going on..Then they sometime have this stale-mate type situation where neither one of them wants to go into the cover/grass to flush because the other dog will have the advantage waiting... its like a duel of the bunny..If that makes sense.. I see this happen a lot these days and it amuses me very much seeing who is going to be the first to crack and make the move...the pup always retrieves the catch no matter who caught it..but that's only because the old dog is happy to let her..lol.

http://vid1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc414/vincevoxbox/Nice%20Point%20hold%20and%20catch%20..molly%20wins_zpswbfnyxgs.mp4

Nowt but a pair of owd mongrels .......

What I love about vins two dogs is,,,,they often sneak across to watch me ferreting with Venus ,,,especially when vin gets the spade out.....

When he's finished,,,he shouts the dogs back,,,,but under my breath I'm saying "stay,,,stay".....lol.......I hate missing a rabbit so having 3 dogs round my warren,,,pays dividends,,,,

• Like 6