Hemp

R_Oldroyd

Hi

Made some hemp nets that are 4ft in length. They are all the same mesh size made with the same mesh board. Now i dipped a couple of them in wood preserver and i am sure that once they had dried, they are shorter by about 1/2".

I thought that natural materials like hemp and cotton don't stretch unlike nylon but can they shrink if they get wet for the first time????

Any thoughts

regard Roger

Edited by R_Oldroyd

Depending on how you treat them they can shrink a little, however I think you'll find that they'll stretch back with use. I find that if I dry hemp too quickly it goes quite hard and shrinks a little but as I said it's only temporary. It's a natural material and likes TLC.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Made some hemp nets that are 4ft in length. They are all the same mesh size made with the same mesh board. Now i dipped a couple of them in wood preserver and i am sure that once they had dried, they are shorter by about 1/2".

I thought that natural materials like hemp and cotton don't stretch unlike nylon but can they shrink if they get wet for the first time????

Any thoughts

regard Roger

[/quo

i make a lot of hemp purse nets try soking your hemp in wood preserver before you atually make the net :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

hemp like all naturall fibered twines need loveing care!,, Rule number 1 is "DO NOT DRY THEM WITH AN ARTIFICEALL HEAT" Let Mother nature dry them! Coz if you dont regarding naturall fibre twines the life span of your net will be short lived!!! ( did i spell artificeall right ? )LOL,, SERIOUSLEY..these old fibered twines need loveing care and will last a life time if looked after properly !! but if you dry them on front of a gloweing heat,, the fibre will loose its strength and its mesh size!! natureall fibered twines DO NOT LIKE ARTIFICEALL HEAT.............

hemp like all naturall fibered twines need loveing care!,, Rule number 1 is "DO NOT DRY THEM WITH AN ARTIFICEALL HEAT" Let Mother nature dry them! Coz if you dont regarding naturall fibre twines the life span of your net will be short lived!!! ( did i spell artificeall right ? )LOL,, SERIOUSLEY..these old fibered twines need loveing care and will last a life time if looked after properly !! but if you dry them on front of a gloweing heat,, the fibre will loose its strength and its mesh size!! natureall fibered twines DO NOT LIKE ARTIFICEALL HEAT.............

So putting them on a radiator is a no no then. Interested in this artificeall heat thing. Don't like the idea of trashing my nets. Also if you dry them out this way they go crusty and don't run out as well.

I use mine so often during the season that they tend to do most of there drying out in the field. They are dipped in wood preserver so dry so much quicker than hemp alone.

Edited by R_Oldroyd

So putting them on a radiator is a no no then. Interested in this artificeall heat thing. Don't like the idea of trashing my nets. Also if you dry them out this way they go crusty and don't run out as well.

I use mine so often during the season that they tend to do most of there drying out in the field. They are dipped in wood preserver so dry so much quicker than hemp alone.

REMEMBER LADS ,

BLOOD ON HEMP / LINEN ....... ROTS IT FAST !! ........... THEY NEED A WASH FROM TIME TO TIME

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :big_boss:

Im just making some hemp nets, could anyone tell me more about the wood preserver? is it necessary and if so what type? not been told about that.

Tabs

Anything that is water based ie the stuff you put on your fences, obviously some types are better than others ronseal sprayable stuff is really good but is expensive. Its almost like a plastic coating to start but soon sofns up.

Nets last longer if still cared for. They are easy to see in vegitattion if you use a sensible colour and it seals the fibres so they run of the vegitation rather than getting stuck.

The only down side is it bulk up your kit bagt but i thinks but as you dont lose nets as much.