• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

bushing team

the sister to willows bitch 6 months old on the 3rd of next month

Posted Images

ray i only work rabbits i wanted to use a first x spaniel x terrier but got messed about with him so got a chance to use the dog i did over the moon i did :thumbs:

if my bitch comes in again i am going to use a small sprocker dog over her :thumbs:

ray i only work rabbits i wanted to use a first x spaniel x terrier but got messed about with him so got a chance to use the dog i did over the moon i did :thumbs:

if my bitch comes in again i am going to use a small sprocker dog over her :thumbs:

Thanks Wi11ow, yeah I got a pup cockerxpatterdale for my youmgest son for doing a bit of ferreting and bushing, shes showing good signs so far for her age. I wont be for a longtime down the line. If she turns out decent enough and a wanted a pup to run on from her.I was just courious weather to go more spaniel or terrier. Thanks :)

• Like 1

I must admit I do like the look of your dogs. I wonder how similar these are to the original spaniels.

the 3/4 spaniel bitch i have is very much like a pure spaniel just a touch more steady than a pure but its her first season :thumbs: the first x old bitch in my eyes is like a terrier with a spaniel nose and ears listen to every word u say my pup is like a first x very steady but listens to you all the time

they suit me down to the ground bolt rabbits everyday even the pups finds and flushes on her own :thumbs::thumbs:

Have you ever owned a pure cocker mate.The reason I ask is because you say the terrier steady them down but I believe if you do enough work with a spaniel especially from a young age they are no more wild than any other breed.Maybe it's just the particular line of cocker I've chosen to keep.

owed a couple they are good flushes hunted with some very good spaniels but it does make them hunt steader if you cross them in my eyes same here work them everyday :thumbs:

Interesting,Don't get me wrong mine will push on if you walk along with your head in the clouds especially if their isn't any scent to keep them interested but they are nothing like the terriers I kept for 20 odd years if you took your eyes off them they were gone.Ive got 2 youngsters here that I can stop on a rabbit with a single blast.My mate has the mother to my young bitch she is also the 1/2 sister to my young dog she will flush gear all day when beating but as soon as we get the catapults out she will point gear and she's as good a marker with the ferrets as you could wish. Neither of us have a clue really about training gundogs so either they are just naturals or its because we are out everyday with them doing lots of different stuff.

owed a couple they are good flushes hunted with some very good spaniels but it does make them hunt steader if you cross them in my eyes same here work them everyday :thumbs:

Interesting,Don't get me wrong mine will push on if you walk along with your head in the clouds especially if their isn't any scent to keep them interested but they are nothing like the terriers I kept for 20 odd years if you took your eyes off them they were gone.Ive got 2 youngsters here that I can stop on a rabbit with a single blast.My mate has the mother to my young bitch she is also the 1/2 sister to my young dog she will flush gear all day when beating but as soon as we get the catapults out she will point gear and she's as good a marker with the ferrets as you could wish. Neither of us have a clue really about training gundogs so either they are just naturals or its because we are out everyday with them doing lots of different stuff.

30 years ago i said to a terrier man who had some very good bushing terriers why not get a spaniel he said hes reason why he dint i thought they have got to be better so i got a spaniel NEVER forget why he did not have one he was right so i got a spaniel x terrier after a few years and had this x for a wail now they suit me down to the ground AND this is why i like them BUT everyman to hes own :thumbs:

I had spaniels, cocker, and springers. I added the terrier blood to give more hunting range, and better ability to follow the line, also voice.

Im my eyes spaniels are close-range dogs, though Ive seen some wilder specimens that might pass for beagles lol but usually they tend to work very close (as hunting dogs go).

downsouth, I used mine for everything like you do, and I found them willing and able for most stuff, my cocker even got keen on going to ground and I dug him (up at quarry) a couple of times, and stuck in the pipe a handful of times!! Foxes were his demise in the end. sadly. He was a trooper that dog. Very keen.

30 years ago i said to a terrier man who had some very good bushing terriers why not get a spaniel he said hes reason why he dint i thought they have got to be better so i got a spaniel NEVER forget why he did not have one he was right so i got a spaniel x terrier after a few years and had this x for a wail now they suit me down to the ground AND this is why i like them BUT everyman to hes own :thumbs:

What age have your pups over the years start putting the pieces of the jigsaw puzzel together. Wishing this pups life away cant wait till she starts putting it together.

Some at 6 month's another at 14 month's she was my slowest bye 8 mouths u see what you have then they learn and improve. But I allways Ferret with them and they allways get a rabbit hung up for them gutted so they can strip it but ever man to his own

• Like 1

Some at 6 month's another at 14 month's she was my slowest bye 8 mouths u see what you have then they learn and improve. But I allways Ferret with them and they allways get a rabbit hung up for them gutted so they can strip it but ever man to his own

Yeah its just patience. Just getting her out as much as I can ferreting and a bit of bushing to pick up as much experiences as I can provide for her. Happy enough with her bits and pieces shes doing. Shes learning solo as theres no similar type dogs there for her to learn from.