Aa S200 .177 Low Power

Hi,

Just after some advice, recently got back into shooting and have a 6 week old Air Arms S200 .177

Yesterday I received my new Chrony Alpha as I thought it would be interesting to do a bit of research and because my Mrs also shoots we thought we'd make the investment.

Went out today and got and average of 620 FPS out of 30 shots with JSB Match Diablo's which come in at 8.44 gr, entered details on this calculator http://extorian.co.uk/shooting/pellets.html and it came back with a ft/lb figure of 7.21 for my rifle.

This seems a little low to me, I've read about figures increasing with time and use and obviously I appreciate there will be fluctuations with air pressure but I was running at around 180bar when I started the test.

Any advice or thoughts would be welcome, is it a case of getting it back to the shop or do I give it time and keep testing.

I know this is a bit of a grey area on forums and I'm not interested in increasing the power of the rifle myself as the new S200's are all fitted with anti tamper, I just wondered if anyone had experience in this sort of thing and whether dealers would send it back to the factory or tell you to live with it.

Cheers

Yes it is a case of sending it back to the shop mate.

The fact of the matter is, and loads of replies will come back regarding trying this and that as we all need to show we 'know what we're on about', but with PCP's it's really hard to pin point an issue with the mechanics due to the lack of them. If there is an issue deep internally, it won't be worth the effort doing it yourself as another issue may be caused.

However, if it's a simple thing, such as value, firing pin, pressure etc then read the replies and act as you will. If I was you, it would be back to the shop. You've only had it 6 weeks... It's practically brand new.

Best of luck with it.

• Like 1

Cheers Rez, Cheers Mark,

I think that's the obvious answer, I really can't see thing improving drastically after a couple of boxes of pellets!! I'm sure I read that heavier pellets give an increased muzzle energy but don't really understand that as even though lighter & heavier pellets travel at different speeds surely the gun remains at the same power???

Anyway, you wouldn't keep hold of a 300bhp car if it was running at half power would you?? So back off to the shop tomorrow, hope it doesn't take too long to sort out.

Thanks again.

If it was running just a little low on power ie a bit over 10 ft/lbs I'd say give it a chance to run in or try filling to a lower pressure (in order to find the sweet spot) but at the sort of levels your talking about its never going to come around so as above, back to your dealer, at that age its under warranty so its their problem not yours :)

As an after thought another possibility is are you sure your chronos reading correctly ?

If it was running just a little low on power ie a bit over 10 ft/lbs I'd say give it a chance to run in or try filling to a lower pressure (in order to find the sweet spot) but at the sort of levels your talking about its never going to come around so as above, back to your dealer, at that age its under warranty so its their problem not yours :)

As an after thought another possibility is are you sure your chronos reading correctly ?

I did think that but as a cross reference I did thirty shots through today with my partners S200 .22, which came back with an average of around 11 ft/lb. Thats a relatively new gun also, with probably less use than mine, coming in at a figure I'd be happy with, so to me I reckon the chrony seems to be working ok.