Fac Application - What Is Considered Family?

Evening chaps,

Apologies if this has been asked or talked about before or is in the wrong section, But after searching the net and this site I can't answer my specific question..

I am looking to apply for my FAC when I move to Cumbria in the next few weeks. I realize I need two referees that have known me for 2+ years and I also know amongst others, family are not allowed to be referees. But how about my partners parents? They are technically not family as I am not married (some police websites have stated in-laws being family).

Using my partners parents will simply be easier for me as I have only recently moved back to the UK (6 years away and most friends have moved away).

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Phil

I'd consult the BASC.

This is looking difficult.

The legislation specifically requires referees to be UK resident. So if the only UK resident referees who've known you recently and for more than 2 years, are your partners parents, then there may be justification for using them. Also, it might be worth getting a more official view of the definition of "family" in case there is precedence for it and / or this kind of situation.

I also doubt Cumbria police are correct in their interpretation as she's only your girlfriend not wife.

Edited by Alsone

This very subject is covered in the Home Office Guidance, a useful read before completing your application.

As co-habiting partners are treated as wife/husband then it seems logical that their parents would be treated as in-laws.

It states...............

10.12 Members of the applicant’s family may not act as referees. In the absence of a court ruling,
family’ is taken to mean the following: wife, husband, mother, father, son, daughter, sister,
brother, aunt, uncle, grandparent and mother/father/sister/brother/son/daughter-in-law.
Cousins are not regarded as immediate family, but co-habiting or civil partners or partners
in a same sex marriage should be considered as ‘family’ for these purposes and should not
be accepted. Serving police officers, police support staff, Police and Crime Commissioners
(PCCs) or their support staff or registered firearms dealers may not act as referees.

The guide lines only state your co-habitee or civil partner are not acceptable. If you have not entered into a civil partnership and are only co-habiting then the key term is "in-laws". There is nothing in law to link you to them. Try making this point to the authorities. (and best of luck !! :victory: )

The guide lines only state your co-habitee or civil partner are not acceptable. If you have not entered into a civil partnership and are only co-habiting then the key term is "in-laws". There is nothing in law to link you to them. Try making this point to the authorities. (and best of luck !! :victory: )

Cheers Cedrick, I'll give it a go and let you all know how it turns out!

Phil