Making Equipment

CrowHawker

I've only had a hawk for a short time but I quickly learnt that for all the talk about the time it takes up etc etc there's a dark side to falconry which is the keeping and breeding of loads of birds of prey that are rarely if ever flown. Now I hate all that, pedlars do my head in. I thought the dog world was bad but falconry is terrible. Fly a hawk for a little while then pen it up for life for breeding. It's hidden away and not talked about.

Yet many in the falconry world would criticise what I do with my one hawk. I'm passed caring, no amount of "doing it right by tradition" is going to stop mixy or VHD from wiping out my quarry and it definitely won't make any difference to whatever weather we will get this season.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Noticing more and more people are buying ready made kit? Is the art of making your own kit dieing out?

I like to dabble a bit I have made my own kit and had a go at lures and hoods all sizes just for the hell of it. I don't have the time to spend on making hoods any more, But it does not take long to k

No drinking I've been up the dales for the evening lol. I was just giving my opinion on a thread you started. Give me one example of how making my own equipment will make my hawk a better worker and I

I was talking about the general state of bird of prey ownership but I'd be interested to know how many birds you fly in a season and for how long etc etc. That would be a far more interesting thread than this one. Out of interest why don't you fly the peregrines?

Are you drinking now lol. Surely this thread is a criticism of those of us that don't make our own gear. For the record I think I could soon learn how to make anklets and jesses, I'd imagine theres a few YouTube clips about it. The thing is until I feel like I'm missing out on something I won't bother to try. As for making gear being part of any stage of training a hawk I don't see it. You can buy it all in bulk if you want so why is it a necessary skill??

I'm still learning, if I'm given a reason why I need to learn something to get a better hunting hawk you can bet I'll want to learn it.

I am quite new to falconry I haven't got a hawk but have someone that is willing to teach me and I will be looking to learn to make my own kit overtime not because I have to but for me it's all part of the learning and the sense of achievement. It's like when I go fly fishing catching a fish on a bought fly is great but catching one on one you have tied your self is just a bit more special for me

I'm not saying anyone is wrong with buying in,I'm say people should no how too as it is apart of training a bird.falconry is not just about hunting with a bird surel.it's about the journey from beginning training a fresh hawk to your first kill and many more to come.

I agree with much of that and training and entering a bird is great. In saying that unless a bird is killed very few of us will get to do it very often........they live a long time and most people only need one bird at a time.

I am quite new to falconry I haven't got a hawk but have someone that is willing to teach me and I will be looking to learn to make my own kit overtime not because I have to but for me it's all part of the learning and the sense of achievement. It's like when I go fly fishing catching a fish on a bought fly is great but catching one on one you have tied your self is just a bit more special for me

That's fine even though the fly is massively more important to the capture of a fish than a hawks anklet is to what it catches.

I wish you well, it's a great sport.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong with buying in,I'm say people should no how too as it is apart of training a bird.falconry is not just about hunting with a bird surel.it's about the journey from beginning training a fresh hawk to your first kill and many more to come.

when i started you had to make your own stuff you could not buy it,You are right its all part of learning the art of falconry and i enjoy doing it still after all these years.atb ad :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

One good thing about making your own furniture is that you can tailor it to the individual bird.

For instance, I have a female gos that hates to be held by short jesses, so I make them quite long for that hawk.

As for hoods, it is difficult to but in one that is a good fit, by making your own, again it is easier to tailor it for fitting.

I dont like paying for things I can make myself, I dont like paying for people to mend my car, so I do that myself, I reload my own rifle ammo too, but tying flies,NO I cant bring myself to do it, so buy them in, but if people dont want to make equipment, then fair enough, each to their own I say :yes:

I'm much the same but this summer I've had to do a lot of work around the garage, yard and garden and it has meant I had very little time to go fishing, if I could have afforded to pay people to do the work I would have. I only had about fifteen days out fishing this summer. That is a huge sacrifice for me to make but I felt I had no choice. I had wanted to take part in the WSF challenge and get the forty species badge but couldn't. I also wanted to take my overall species count to 100 but didn't.

Working full time and trying to do as much hunting and fishing as I want with limited funds is difficult. Sometimes impossible.