Jeremy Vine

I dont even think diet is to blame....it's lack of exercise pure and simple.

Our parents and their parents ate all the food the government now tell us is bad.....

Suet puddings.

Butter...no such things as low fat spreads then!

Lard, everything from roast tetties to chips was cooked in it....no sunflower oils.

Beef dips (dipping bread into the juice (fats) as the beef cooks)....Still one of my fav's :yes:

Stodgy puddings with full fat custard.

Full fat milk with the cream still on the top of the bottle (How i miss that on my cornflakes)

No such thing as sugar free fizzy pop.

And why was there never a problem with obesity then?

Because they did almost everything outside or by hand.

Played outside, hide and seek, pushbikes, two ballie, hop skip, rounders etc.

My dad used to cycle to work...no car.

We walked the 2 mile to school and back.

Saturdays were washing days, i could'nt go out with my friends till it was all done...all rinsed by hand, wrung out, then on the line...no automatics or tumble dryers in our house.

You hand swept the stairs cos hoovers did not have the attatchments.

Grew your own veg in the garden.

The list could go on and on.

I cannot believe that women i know cannot walk 2 miles without nearly having a heart attack, and cannot climb over a wall without a winch to assist.....so what will their children be like, probably worse!

And the sad thing is, all of the country sports, way of life etc is slowly but surely being pushed aside in favour of cling film food and computer games. Probably why hunting got banned.

MOLL.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was almost a size 16 last year and I decided enough was enough I had gotten to be a fat b*****d :laugh: so I put myself on a diet, I cut out meat, junk food, chocolate, and ate a strict veg, fruit and fish diet, the weight fell off me and I am now a size 10 again, its taken a lot of determination as its much easier to put weight on than it is to lose it, but its worth the effort cos everything is better, clothes look and fit better, you enjoy and appreciate your food more, your skin is clearer etc etc. I was always active and out with the dogs all the time even when I was heavier, but Its nice to be able to go for a walk now and not have the old thunder thighs rubbing together :laugh:

At my heaviest I was 14 stone which maybe isnt that heavy considering the size and weight of some people who are overweight, but to me that was obese! :sick: I got so big due to a number of factors, one of which was being bucked off a temperamental horse and injuring my back which put me out of action for a while, then there was my boyfriend at the time who loved junk food, indians, chinese etc every weekend, I fell into a pattern of eating crap and "slobbing out" as we used to call it :laugh: we would lie and watch films and eat rubbish, we never did anything to burn it off either :icon_redface: (I never wanted to, so my fault not his) and hey presto all of a sudden I was like a balloon and I looked at myself in the mirror one day and went OMG I have really let myself go :doh:

This last year I have started running again, just a bit of light jogging, and I keep my weight under control by daily weighing, calorie counting and exercise. I have been able to maintain the same weight for over 6 months now so I allow myself a treat here and there, a bottle of wine at the weekends, or a bit of choccie now and then, but I am careful not to allow myself to get into a habit of eating (or drinking) those kind of things on too regular a basis. I would still like to lose another stone but I know it will take time and a lot of hard work so Im aiming for small goals of 1lb at a time and hopefully next year I will be around 9 1/2 stone which is my ideal target weight. I recently went through my wardrobe and got rid of all the clothes over a size 12 as I want to make sure I never, ever let myself get that fat again :sick:

If you eat nothing you loose weight. if you do more exercise than usual you will loose weight...if your slim and stop exercising, you put on weight...if your slim do more exercise you might have to eat to keep your weight. If your overweight you need to eat less and take more exercise. Simple as that.

Well i feel a lot fitter now & as i dont ache all over & pant when ever i climb the stairs i do more walking than ever. i think once you see for yourself the weight come off that gives you the motivation to carry on :)

Two hands and only one Arsehole :big_boss:

Simple as that, says our hero, after seeing off two slices of Cheese on toast. :bye:

It really is quite simple, we eat, as part of our daily diet, " treats" that were once a monthly or yearly thing to eat.

It's all to easy and readily available.

I dont even think diet is to blame....it's lack of exercise pure and simple.

Our parents and their parents ate all the food the government now tell us is bad.....

Suet puddings.

Butter...no such things as low fat spreads then!

Lard, everything from roast tetties to chips was cooked in it....no sunflower oils.

Beef dips (dipping bread into the juice (fats) as the beef cooks)....Still one of my fav's :yes:

Stodgy puddings with full fat custard.

Full fat milk with the cream still on the top of the bottle (How i miss that on my cornflakes)

No such thing as sugar free fizzy pop.

And why was there never a problem with obesity then?

Because they did almost everything outside or by hand.

Played outside, hide and seek, pushbikes, two ballie, hop skip, rounders etc.

My dad used to cycle to work...no car.

We walked the 2 mile to school and back.

Saturdays were washing days, i could'nt go out with my friends till it was all done...all rinsed by hand, wrung out, then on the line...no automatics or tumble dryers in our house.

You hand swept the stairs cos hoovers did not have the attatchments.

Grew your own veg in the garden.

The list could go on and on.

I cannot believe that women i know cannot walk 2 miles without nearly having a heart attack, and cannot climb over a wall without a winch to assist.....so what will their children be like, probably worse!

And the sad thing is, all of the country sports, way of life etc is slowly but surely being pushed aside in favour of cling film food and computer games. Probably why hunting got banned.

MOLL.

Very very very wise words...... :signthankspin:

Well i feel a lot fitter now & as i dont ache all over & pant when ever i climb the stairs i do more walking than ever. i think once you see for yourself the weight come off that gives you the motivation to carry on :)

"ache all over & pant"................ooooooooooooooo Kay! the mind boggles :laugh:

Al :thumbs:

It's a funny this this exercise stuff, my family (apart from me at the mo) are very fit. The reason being, we don't catch the bus, take the car or cadge a lift everywhere!

I've seen children (Alfs pals) come to stay with us and can't cope with the fact the that we WALK to the village and back which is a mile at the most and that is the complete journey there and back.

I remember taking a car for MOT last year (I was 53 at the time) to a garage 12 miles away and it failed, the guy said he couldn't sort it until late that day, so it wouldn't be ready until the next morning :icon_eek: , it was a nice sunny day so I thought not a problem, I walked home and cycled back the next morning. To me this was a totally logical thing to do, but to some people, they absolutely can't get their head around it at all, my answer to them is this........."if and when the wheels fall off, I take it you're just gonna sit there and wait, instead of getting off your fat arse!, and doing something about it".

This unfortunately is how the bulk (no pun) of the UK thinks, it's just all too much of an effort. Now you'll have all heard it said before, but I for one think that National Service did a whole lot of good, taught folk respect and pride, pride in them and theirs. There is no pride anymore, just go abroad, us so called feckin "Brits" are a joke, hardly surprising when you look at the state of the nation.

Now I was taught never to consider defeat as an option and to never put lives in jeapordy, but folk of today, they'd be best left where they fall because one thing for sure is that you wouldn't want to be depending on their support, as I've already said,it would be "all too much of an effort" for the lazy tw@ts :censored:

OK?

Al :drink:

Course they are ,my Dad being a fully paid up member of one such clinic. there are cause and effects to every action. I cant blame anyone or thing for my bad habits cept myself. Noone forces me to smoke or drink its all my own choice. most of the tax from drink and fags goes back to the NHS. If unhealthy foods were taxed the same way then maybe that money could go towards it too. If all smokiers and drinkers gave up where else would they retrieve the money from? And noone can tell me that all the tax that goes in has to pay for smoking related illnesses so i cant believe that the NHS would be better off due to lesser cancer, heart problems etc. I dont smoke around non smokers and would never smoke in a resturant even before the ban. There was a programe on a couple years back about herion addiction and the head consultant at the Marie Curie Clinic stated that the mist danderous drugs on this planet are Sugar and Paracetamol. The biggest killers.

Edited by Groverdog

i personally feel for the fat people who cant lose wait.

im 30 and 5ft 6ins and because of an i,ll ness i weigh 7 stone! this really pisses me off because i cant put weight on and boy do i try. I eat like a horse and i live with a butcher so i eat quallity aswell as quantity.

i cant put it on so i understand the people who cant lose it.

BUT and its a big but people who are just too lazy to exersise or eat properly should come and live in my shoes i know its the opposite but it makes me mad. :wallbash::censored: .

"ache all over & pant"................ooooooooooooooo Kay! the mind boggles :laugh:

Al :thumbs:

well i did pant when i couldnt get me breath , your as bad as that bill 88 :laugh::laugh: