Legal Limit

Hi all just bought a BSA lightning 22 air rifle which has had an upgrade on the spring.

Shoots really well and brings down a bunny no problem. I am just a tad concerned that it might be over the legal limit?

Is there a way you can get this checked at a gun shop or buy anything?

Cheers

Using a chrono regularly is actually very useful, it will give you an idea of any problems such as irregular or low power.

I make a point of testing my rifles every time I adjust or change something, I write down a string of 10 shots and keep that as a reference for the future.

Regards

Tim

Guess that's not a bad idea never really thought of it like that. I will see if I can lend one for the time being and get one bought :)

just so you are aware if you take it to an rfd or gunsmith to be tested and it is over, it then becomes a section 1 firearm and you commit a firearms offence for possessing it. this does not, however, mean you will get into any trouble. once tested and proven to be over the RFD/gunsmith will give you some options. you can either sign the gun over to them and pay them to lower to power to a suitable amount, or you can simply remove the spring or any other major component that would render the rifle useless. if it cannot fire, it is not a firearm. I have been told this by an FEO and by an RFD.

I took my weihrauch hw99s in for a service and was told it was shooting between 12.7 and 13.2 with the pellets they tested it with. I simply dropped the record trigger unit and that was that. I then had all the time in the world to get it sorted. as it happened I took it home, collapsed a coil and filed it all square and it came down to 11.68.

if however you take it to be tested and it is over, and you then pick up the gun and leave the building, the RFD/gunsmith is liable to ring police as you are now carrying an unregistered section 1, which will get you into a lot of trouble.

as said, if it cant fire, it isn't a firearm. I have also heard of people removing the barrel, removing the air reservoir, main spring, anything to stop it being cocked or fired. it is then just an ornament until rebuilt

• Like 1

I would play it safe and get a Toolstation catalogue, running at 11.4 my R-10 just makes Glass Faced Mortice Knobs on page 237, from35 yards.

Once you are happy you can then fill the catalogue with more holes than shootinforfood's post. :yes:post-31547-0-43771100-1407698234.jpg

• Like 2