Chickens For A First Timer

I would love some chickens so I can start getting my own eggs (im trying to be more self sufficent!)

What would you recommend for the first timer? I only want a couple of chickens not masses as I dont have a huge garden. Im looking at getting a moveable coop.

They wont have a lot of access to grass though, does this matter if I provide fresh greens and things for them?

Ive got a couple of books out from the library to help me with my research but first hand experience is always better!

out of the many breeds of chickens i have kept the breed i would recommend is the poland / polish they are so calm and not skittish at all and are one of the quieter chickens i have kept lay a decent sized egg and are easy to handle :)

My missus has 4, I think they are called red rocks, and they've been popping out around 20 eggs a week in summer for the last 2 years, maybe 10 in winter.

They were only a fiver each from the local farmers market and are as calm as you like.

• 2 weeks later...

a couple of warrens would probably be best, they pretty much lay an egg each every day and are easy to look after. I find other breeds are more interesting but if its just eggs you need then warrens are the way to go. good luck with them :thumbs:

• Like 1

Warrens or lohmanns your common brown chicken good natured and reliable ,and not silly money.

Those black tailed hybrids that waitrose had in their egg laying flocks I've had twice from different scources,and they have either feather pecked or been downright vicious towards me,so I wouldn't bother with them.

I've got a bluebelle a warren and a silver Sussex hybrid and the silver Sussex will try and sit on eggs the warren is first into anything,very nosey bird.

Bluebell is a pretty bird,always hanging around.

Try bantams the eggs are gorgeous some bantams lay a egg the size of a small large fowl.

Just make sure they are not a breed renowned for going broody like Pekins or silkies etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with Lohmans over warrens or try and get some Bovan Browns, they lay a slightly smaller egg but commercially they are looking at 300 eggs a bird per flock easy and seem a hardier breed then either lohman or hyline (on free range units). Try and find a local producer who is depleting the flock soon and you can pick them up cheap, moult them out and they are good to go again. Best of luck.