Off Days

Just got back from the local HFT course. Didn't go on it tonight, took the SE and 97 and stayed on the range. Shot like a tit too, got the SE sorted for a new zero range. Sound. Easy.

Picked up the 97 and my groups were at best inch to an inch and a half. Annoyingly, and I'm wondering if this happens to others... I began changing my hold, stance, follow through, everything, as you do, but the groups wouldn't tighten. I know it's me and not the rifle, am I just having an off day? To these exist? I know they do, I just want to feel better about what was an awful nights shooting.

When the shots aren't landing in a predictable place, is it common practise to start changing things... The last thing I wanted to do is start adjusting scope turrets... I know the rifles on @ 25.

F*ck it. Pissed off. Not going again.

• Like 1

I know the feeling. Right pain in the Harris :D I see your based in Linc's, out of interest where have you found a hft course? I'm sleaford area and trying to find somewhere other than my permissions to have a play and like the sound of hft so any recommendations would be much appreciated. :)

I think we all get it ! I've been doing up a HW80 and last week I was managing 1" - 3/4" groups (still needs a softer spring), today I was lucky to get under 1 1/2" ! Start fiddling with different pellets etc. just seems to make it worse. Looking down the scope, going through things - is my cheek pressing down, am I holding too tight, where is my finger on the trigger, am I pulling or sqeezing !!! It wil drive you mad :yahoo:

My solution was to take out the hmr and put five shots in the same hole at 48 yards ! Why 48 you ask. Means it's also on at 100 ready for tomorrows bunnies.

• Like 1

It just happens. There are a few reasons why your shooting is not as hot as it was the day before! Given that you have a perfectly serviceable scope, the right pellet and no technical problems with your rifle's internals. It may be one or more of the following.

1. Change of pellet batch. Identical make, headsize etc. but new tin/batch was not quite the same tolerances as previous.

2. Changes in body temperature causing heart/pulse rate fluctuations. Dehydration in warm weather causes this.

3. Varying your breathing on the point of shot release.

4. Variable breeze direction at the target downrange.

5. Trigger needs a little fine re-adjustment.

6. You are not maintaining a consistent control of the trigger under your finger as you were before and pulling the shot a little off.

7. Flinching.

If you are not sure of any of these. Stop shooting. Take a rest a few minutes with a glass of water to drink and then, try a five-shot string at a clear target. You may find you are now grouping very well off the centre so, a re-zero will get you back on track. But, constantly altering or "Chasing" the zero on the turrets as you shoot is causing your shots to drift off-group and produce a poor group.

Just some thoughts.

Simon

• Like 1

All thoughts are welcome. I do know its what I was doing, just bloodeh annoying.

Ill get back out this weekend and hopefully pick up the art again.

James. Over at Waddington mate. Somertongate Lane. You'll find um on fb.

Thanks all.

As an edit* SImon. I had just picked up a new batch of FTT's... hmm.

Edited by Rez