Holes In Hedges

Hi,

Ive been ferreting for some time now, and only recently ive been on this site and have discovered that on the photos of people ferreting and the photos of the rabbit warrens they all seem to be in the middle of the field?

Where i go ferreting all the holes that are used by rabbits are right in the middle of the thickest and thorniest hedge the ones that are easy to ferret were probably last used in 200 BC :thumbdown: !

Is it just me or are the rabbits where i live super-intelligent and must know i hate bieng stung and pricked to death by hawthorn?

:clapper: Im with ya on that one mate! Only a few of the warrens on all the land I do are in the middle of the field. The majority are mostly on thick thick prickly hedges, or underneath big bramble bushes. Where I was out yesterday was quite good, they were all along fences and tree lines at the edge of fields but not too much cover to worry about.

But yea most of the time in the ferreting season my hands and especially my knuckles are cut to shreds from thorns etc! :doh:

Hi,

Ive been ferreting for some time now, and only recently ive been on this site and have discovered that on the photos of people ferreting and the photos of the rabbit warrens they all seem to be in the middle of the field?

Where i go ferreting all the holes that are used by rabbits are right in the middle of the thickest and thorniest hedge the ones that are easy to ferret were probably last used in 200 BC :thumbdown: !

Is it just me or are the rabbits where i live super-intelligent and must know i hate bieng stung and pricked to death by hawthorn?

Hi, If it's anything like where I live, any rabbits silly enough to live in the open are soon made very extinct. This leaves them in railway bankings, and other places where they are really difficult to get at . I suppose it's only natural. :thumbs:

Don't worry guys, same here too. Thick hawthorn, blackthorn etc with the added benefit of copious amounts of ivy, brambles and nettles which only seem to stop growing for about two days in mid January as I'm so far south. :wallbash: No point in suggesting long nets either as the rabbits never come out they only ever go along. :censored:

Same here thick bramble bushes ,going home digging thorns out of the dogs and the wife picking them out of my bald head hands all cut up nets tangled and full of brambles,can't believe im looking forward to it all. :wallbash:

Bald heads, who's been talking, oh I see. Yep know it well. Set the full bury with longnets, and the b*****ds won't leave the brambles. Really frustrating. Sometimes if you have a word, the guys with the hedging machines will run over the sets for you. Not enough to be able to use purse nets, but enough to cause them to bolt. :icon_redface:

yes i think everyone that ferrets has got some warrens they hate too do , the reason you do see any pics is because the dont want everyone to see the tangled mess that there nets are in and there to busy pulling thorns out there hands and nees :icon_redface::laugh:

No point in suggesting long nets either as the rabbits never come out they only ever go along. :censored:

Perfect for longnets then! :clapper: ...Cut/smash through the hedge and run a short net through every ten yards or so, great sport :thumbs:

Thats what I do here, just bought some more longnets and a gate net for that reason.

IMG_0010-1.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

YEP! Same with me,I was getting changed at work the other day and the lad next to me just went silent and walked out of the changing room when he saw the state of my back!!

:icon_redface:

I have developed the following 2 remedies to help.

1.I just can't set my purse nets when wearing gloves but have found that by cutting off the finger tips off, the backs of my hands ahd wrists are less torn apart.

2.I always used to tie the nets to a section of thick bramble or thorn but this adds a lot of time to setting up and taking down nets.In the local pound shop you can buy a set of 10 quick release clips which I now use to clip nets to brambles.

So far so good.

I agree with what's been said though about pictures of nice clean warrens on clear fields, so come on you bramble scrambling , scratched up, thorn ridden ferreters,lets post up some REAL rabbit habitat!! I'm just jealous really and still have some explaining to do to the blokes at work....at least my MRS hasn't noticed the scratches yet! :D

Got the same here fed up of waiting for nettles to die back. Am thinking of going out with the brushcutter a few days beforehand.. Anyone ever tried it? do they move back in after a couple of days or do they just move on? :drink:

i cut back the nettles on my land, they still move back in :thumbs: