Wild Polecat Rescue Advice.

My work colleague rang the other evening to say his terrier had a polecat trapped behind her kennel (for about 24 hrs) and would I come and rescue it. Anyway I ended up taking home a young polecat hob (very pretty all black ,white tips to ears and around muzzle). It was very shaken up and quite young so felt if I let it go straight away it would die.

It has been with me 3 or 4 days now and has eaten a lot of rabbit and pigeon, it is fairly sedate when handled but tries to hide when approached.

As it is a youngster will it servive if I release it back to the wild? it was found in the middle of a farmyard and there is a shoot there so I don't think they want me to release it back where I found it.

I have put it in just now with my three older jills and they all seem quite happy, though he does not seem to want to eat ferret food and I have put a water dish in there as he obviously has no idea of water bottles.

Should I hang on to him till he's old enough to look after himself?if so will he get used to ferret food and water as it is a pain particularly this time of year to feed him.

My work colleague rang the other evening to say his terrier had a polecat trapped behind her kennel (for about 24 hrs) and would I come and rescue it. Anyway I ended up taking home a young polecat hob (very pretty all black ,white tips to ears and around muzzle). It was very shaken up and quite young so felt if I let it go straight away it would die.

It has been with me 3 or 4 days now and has eaten a lot of rabbit and pigeon, it is fairly sedate when handled but tries to hide when approached.

As it is a youngster will it servive if I release it back to the wild? it was found in the middle of a farmyard and there is a shoot there so I don't think they want me to release it back where I found it.

I have put it in just now with my three older jills and they all seem quite happy, though he does not seem to want to eat ferret food and I have put a water dish in there as he obviously has no idea of water bottles.

Should I hang on to him till he's old enough to look after himself?if so will he get used to ferret food and water as it is a pain particularly this time of year to feed him.

any pictures of it :thumbs: atb

have a word with Paul and camilla pountain at Avon valley ferrets, there also involved in polecat rescue and release and in your neck of the woods there website link is below also there facebook page (tell them Alan sent you)

http://avonvalleyferrets.vpweb.co.uk/default.html

facebook

https://www.(!64.56:886/pages/AVON-VALLEY-FERRETS-Ferret-racing-working-ferret-displays/156574361038571

Thanks ferretracer will get in touch with them if nothing else about the food and water (Christ it can devour any amount of rabbit in minutes!)

Have taken some great photos but am stuggling to get them on here, will keep trying.

I dont think its a wild polecat either , but you have to love the comments cover your jills with it why ?. you dont have a scooby how it works ?

The comment at the end of the first paragraph suggests it wasn't feeding its self maybe because its a dumped hob kit ?.

• Like 1

Maybe you guys are right, how do you know if it is wild or not apart from aggression? It looks like one , I have never seen a ferret so black, there are wild ones in the area, but there are a lot of gypos as well so could be dumped.

I will admit he is not aggressive but more scared, I have received a hard bite but only as I was hand feeding a small bit of rabbit.

It still to my knowledge has not eaten any ferret food or drank from water bottle.