Longnet pegs

ianrob

I use hazel pegs, I cut them long as this gives me some leeway when I make up the pegs. They go in my loft in the house for a while, no less than a month. You can tell by how light they become when they are ready. Once the hazel is really dry, I straighten it using heat, a gas ring or a spirit burner does, keep the hazel moving in the flame as you don't want to burn it, but keep on heating and it goes really soft. You can get them really straight with practice, and you can keep on heating them till you are happy. You might say, why bother, but if really straight, you can carry more. Because they are cut long, you can decide where to cut them to get them all the same, "it looks nice". How long do you make your pegs, as I can't make my mind up , not many bunnies it doesn't matter, in fact within reason, the shorter the better, "more bag". Lots of bunnies, long pegs and tighter bands. How long guys. 8)

Cut your wands and check them every couple of days, easier to bend and straighten 'green' sticks.

Hi Mike, don't you have bother with them creeping back. It was a local walking stick guy who showed me how to use the heat. As I said, if they are bone dry, you can make them like rubber and once they're cool they stay where they are. I used to use your method, but I assure you the stick makers method is worth a look. You can cut 20 or 30 pegs, shove them in the loft, then once dry, spend a couple of hours straightening them. :thumbs:

Cut your wands and check them every couple of days, easier to bend and straighten 'green' sticks.

Hi Mike, don't you have bother with them creeping back. It was a local walking stick guy who showed me how to use the heat. As I said, if they are bone dry, you can make them like rubber and once they're cool they stay where they are. I used to use your method, but I assure you the stick makers method is worth a look. You can cut 20 or 30 pegs, shove them in the loft, then once dry, spend a couple of hours straightening them. :thumbs:

HI IAN ,

IAM WITH YOU ON THIS ONE .................. PERSONALLY I USE SOME TIN FOIL AND WRAP IT AROUND THE WAND ..... AS THIS STOPS THE BARK SCORCHING ..... THEN I BEND THE WAND STRAIGHT USING MY KNEE , CONSTANTLY SIGHTING IT DOWN ITS LENGTH ..... TILL LIKE AN ARROW , AS SOON AS THE WAND COOLS IT KEEPS ITS SHAPE

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :thumbs: