Dog Want Strike

Well iv got a nearly 9 month old saluki whippet stubborn cow been on a walk with her and she in and out bushes marking holes flushing rabbits to chase and she gets right up at em and she trying so hard but she just will not strike I'm sure she could of had at least a couple today if she would of and another thing when she is on a rabbit and she misses there just no chance of her coming back but if were at the lake park etc her recall is really quite good is it something I'm doing have I started her to earley it's my first running dog so any advice will be appreciated thanks

give her recall with the dummy bunny,plenty praise and and i use a recall whistle,like above give her time,give her some mixy daytime rabbits when the season starts if you can,easy slips other wise saluki cross can be puppyish for a good while my saluki whippet bitch was the same atb mc

just give her time. I have only just let my lurcher start catching. took her on at 12 months old and she had no recall, no basic manners at all and was a general nightmare. So i had alot of work to do with her before i even let her get working.

My whippet was the exact same mate in regards to the recall,after chasing and losing a rabbit he just would not listen and at a year old I was thinkin I would never be able to call him back after a chase so that would be lamping out the window.thankfully at 18months and a bit of work he is a completely different dog and is so much better.cannot wait till Sept now.think it's just an age thing

He was picking them up in the nets from about 9 months but never let him run any properly till he was just over a year.he's just started to catch a lot more now,still losing more than he catches but cos we've not been out with the lamp yet they are all still quite close to the cover and must be frustrating for him lol.still great fun tho when he does get a good run at a few an still learning

Get a length of fishing rod and a rabbit skin on it use it with a cord run her clock wise and alternate anti clock wise let her chase it round just speeding it up enough to keep it in front of her after a few rounds let it drop and let her catch it and then call her and praise her when she returns it to you. When she gets used to this then do away with the cord and use the rod as a flirt pole again she should run after the skin get hold and return it to you, its just a matter of repertition and praise she will get the idea soon enough.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 3