Beginner To Shooting

I have recently taken up Clay pigeon shooting. I absolutely love it! I am currently using a 20 bore over and under, tried a 12 but was too heavy for me to shoot consistently with!

Just wondering if any of you have any tips for me? I get told so many things by people that I dont quite know where to turn!

Also alot of the guys put me off, because they do the typical "you're a girl, girls cant shoot" and it really knocks my confidence!

Welcome and I dont think anyone on here will knock you for being a girl infact I think most will be glad as we need more women in shooting.

That being said just take your time and being sufficient with any weapon takes time but you'll pick it up and get better and find that all the jargon and info you were told will start to stick in your mind and you'll understand it even if you dont agree with it.

Good luck!

A 20 bore will be fine. You can always look at 12 bores again later. If you don't mind me asking how old are you? The key to improving will be good and consistent instruction, at least for a while. Who is or has been teaching you? What clay disciplines are you trying out currently, eg sporting, skeet, trap?

Edited by Lid

A 20 bore will be fine. You can always look at 12 bores again later. If you don't mind me asking how old are you? The key to improving will be good and consistent instruction, at least for a while. Who is or has been teaching you? What clay disciplines are you trying out currently, eg sporting, skeet, trap?

no dont mind you asking my age! im 23. I had a private lesson at a shooting school but wasnt too keen on the instructor. I still go up there to shoot but go with friends (older than me and shooting for years and years!) I have tried trap, but prefer the sporting.

Great so you are an adult! It would definitely be worth a few more lessons with an instructor you get on with. I'm not sure where you are in Cheshire, but the North Wales Shooting school (CH5 2SB) may be worth a try. I used to know the owners back in the 80's and I see it is still the same family, although they won't remember me now!

Otherwise is there anywhere else you can go for lessons? Another thing worth considering is to have a go at skeet (normal not FITASC) and if you like it, try to master it as it will stand you in good stead for sporting. It is very satifsying once you start hitting the high 20's (ex 25).

Edited by Lid
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Fox_Roxi

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you and as CelticCrusader said, 'We need more women in shooting.

As for those guys, take no notice of them. Some of the best clay shooters in Britain and the world are women. I hope you have many years of enjoyment with your chosen discipline. I'm sure you will.

I shoot shotguns myself, but mainly in the field. I wish I had taken the time years ago with my step father who was a fantastic shot at DTL. However, I have most of his trophies now :)

All the best Roxi

Keep at it women are naturals,and there's nothing wrong with a twenty bore,but as said above take a few lesson's and relax into the sport, you will find your place within it,my missis is a good shot,but she doesn't spend time at it, her first, was a roe deer 150 yds after two practice shots, I know hers was rifle,but I find women can really apply them selves to shooting,all aspects of it too good luck enjoy,