whats the best thing to feed a young chaffinch on? had a young lass appear at the door with one yesterday been giving it squashed maggots up till now but having to force feed it slightly how do i eventually get it on seed?

I do know they need plenty of live food and you could try a softbill eggfood type mix some places do as well(my local avairy center is junglegold.com,look in the softbill food section :thumbs: ),i got some when a neighbour brought round a blue tit his cat had nabbed and it did ok on that and i've had young blackbirds and sparrows eat it ok while they were poorly in my care.Squash out the guts from mealworms as the shell/skin is undigestable to most youngsters but mini meal worms and even white large mealworms (they shed their skin regularly and are white and soft skinned before the new skin rehardens) also get a umbrella and hold it open upside down under a bush and shake the bush and you will collect a lot of bugs and insects and these are just what mum and dad would be feeding it in the wild but i'd say it'll have to be quite big and have well fledged before it'll eat a full seed diet by itself.Good luck and well done for trying with it Dogger :victory: ..

• Like 2

Dog food...tinned, in a syringe. I've hand reared a few. I also add baked beans, peas and banana.... little and often. very often! The first feed has got to begin early morning, i would say about 5.30, then hourly all day. Thats giving the bird a full crop each time. Once you've got the bird up and ready to 'fledge' then pm me and i will tell you how to get it eating for itself.... :victory:

• Like 2

Dog food...tinned, in a syringe. I've hand reared a few. I also add baked beans, peas and banana.... little and often. very often! The first feed has got to begin early morning, i would say about 5.30, then hourly all day. Thats giving the bird a full crop each time. Once you've got the bird up and ready to 'fledge' then pm me and i will tell you how to get it eating for itself.... :victory:

its fully feathered its tails stubby so not long jumped nest by the look of it its started grabbing from the tweezers so fingers crossed im feeding it every 2 hours due to working :yes:

• Like 2

Forget the maggots mate, try get some live mini mealworms.

Feed the white ones. Once the chick is feeding from tweezers/fingers readily start offering the mealworm lower and lower until you're actually holding it on the floor. Then its a case of simply moving your finger/tweezers away bit by bit. Thats how they will feed for themselves. By the description i would say that it will be a few days yet.

• 1 month later...

Don't feed maggots deadly for hard bills you have a high risk of botulism I know it's late now but mealworm for first week is good just bash there heads to kill them as they can eat the chicks insides then you can use hand raisingfood or mix eggfood to a paste