hemp breaking

BWB

hi firstly unsure as to whether posting in the right section but choose here rather than the ferrets and ferreting section. I started making some purse nets a few months ago with some hemp that had sat in the loft for probally the last seven years. Iam new to net making and this was my first attempt . I noticed then that the hemp occasionly broke but i put this down to being old . After finishng these nets i then bought 3 spools of 4 ply hemp at the midland . After making a start with my new hemp ive had the same thing happen the twine always seems to snap when pulling the knots down tight and snaps quite close to the knot . Ive now ruled out the fact that it was just old twine that i had . So is it that iam just pulling the knots down too tight ? . I dont over pull them just enough to tighten them down ive also looked at my gauge which is made out of a piece of aluminium there doesnt seem to be any rough edges . Or is it that hemp is fibreous (spelling) and tends to snap anyway any advice appreciated thanks

:hmm: I have had hemp break once and I've been knitting off and on for over forty years. In my case it was a bad batch which had really thin bits in it. If you're built like Arnie Swartzathingie and swinging on it, it might break. Are you just using a normal single sheet bend to knot it, ie, a normal single knot?.

RIGHT LADS ,

THE OLD FELLA THAT KNITTED NETS AROUND THESE PARTS FOR OVER 70 YRS .......... GAVE ME A GOOD TIP ON ASCESSING TWINES SUITABILITY TO MAKEING YOUR CHOOSEN WEB .......

HE ALWAYS .......... WHEN TESTING ......... TIED A SIMPLE KNOT IN THE TWINE AND PULLED HARD ....... IF THE TWINES INFERIOR IT WILL BREAK EVERYTIME AT THE KNOT !!!

YOU BWB , IAM AFRAID HAVE A BAD BATCH OF TWINE

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :big_boss:

unlike modern spun twines hemp, good or bad has no stretch in it. most modern twines have some even if its only a small bit.

look at it like a fishing line of say 2lb breaking strain. if i were to add a little weight at a time i possible could get the fishing line to hold more than the said 2lb. if however i were to add a weight of say 1lb (half the said 2lb breaking strain) and let it drop so the fishing line snatch pulled it would possible break. however in water the 2lb line could and would possible hold fish of a greater weight than the 2lb recomendation.

BWB... with the above information in mind take a look at what your doing with the hemp when making a knot. are you applying a steady pull or are you snatching the knot tight?

this could be your problem :thumbs:

Bad batch imo. No way should you be able to break hemp for a longnet with a sharp tug. Average rabbit weighs 2lb plus and hitting a net flat out would be travelling at 20/25mph or more, that is one fecking big tug and a longnet holds that kind of strain no problem.

Bad batch imo. No way should you be able to break hemp for a longnet with a sharp tug. Average rabbit weighs 2lb plus and hitting a net flat out would be travelling at 20/25mph or more, that is one fecking big tug and a longnet holds that kind of strain no problem.

i was refering to the tugging when you make the knot bite, not in the integeral strength of a net with all its give through the bagging. its happened to me whilst making hemp nets, once made good and strong :thumbs:

before you spend your hard earned cash!! is it actually HEMP that you are buying ?? these days Hemp twine is a thing off the past!!! i consider myself as a twine Tart LOL..

Got to agree with netrigger you rarely get hemp to you most likely buying flax sold as hemp

hi thanks for all the replys . is it chances are ive had two dodgy batches one after another probally not . Will now be looking at my technique and maybe as mentioned whether iam snatching the knot down rather than a firm pull . The twine was bought as 4 ply hemp or so i understood it to be . Would a newby net maker be able to tell the difference between hemp and flax / would somebody be able to tell me from a photo ? . At least i can now rule out the fact that hemp breaks occasionly and start looking at other things thanks for all advice