Hmr & Use On Fox

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No but I am if you are going to shoot foxes over 75 yards, leave the pea shooter at home and use a proper calibre, and I am being serious here, I think to shoot a fox @ 150 yards with a .17 hmr would

OK to answer the OP -   Will a HMR kill a fox yes it will, should it be used for fox at distances under 100 yards on a calm day IMO yes no problem, should it be used over 100 yards IMO no I don't

Is a .22 hornet much better? YES YES AND YES

17 hmr for Fox, not really, nowhere near enough zip, maybe 'cat' size cubs right now at 75 yards, but adult Foxes at 100+ NO WAY

It's up to you of course, maybe a centrefire is not available in your circumstances, but if it is I think you should use it.

• Like 2

Funny you never hear anyone come on here and talk about the 150 yard gut shot or leg shot and the fox that goes limping off with a HMR. It's always the 100-150 yard straight out kill Strange that :hmm: (this isn't aimed at anyone on this thread BTW)

I've got a HMR and have done several experiments with CC about the effect wind plays on the tiny pill and I wouldn't shoot anything past 100 yards if it was anything more than the slightest of breezes.

• Like 1

As SS said earlier, why is this debate still going on?

You use any calibre/ammo within its capabilities, and that of the shooter.

So, is HMR suitable for fox?

YES! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Not according to South Yorkshire it isn't. Admittedly things may have changed but this was their stance a couple of years ago. I know you have several calibres to choose from Deker, intersted to know under what condition would you reach into your cabinet and pull out the HMR if you had a call to dispatch a fox?

Fox is not 'good reason' for having hmr or any rimfire.

When you already have hmr and aolq there is nothing wrong with using it to shoot fox in appropriate circumstances.

Personally, I do not think those circumstances stretch beyond 100 yards and generally a lot closer.

The same applies to the .22lr, although with even less distance.

Sadly, a lot of people just could not care less...... If it moves... shoot it... if you wound it.... so what... it is only vermin.

• Like 1

We are not saying it is not, up to a short range, so is a .22lr but there are far far better options than a .17 hmr, 100 yards without wind should be the limit, 150 yard shots on foxes are not on, I dont care how good a shot you are.

We are not saying it is not, up to a short range, so is a .22lr but there are far far better options than a .17 hmr, 100 yards without wind should be the limit, 150 yard shots on foxes are not on, I dont care how good a shot you are.

That isn't what the OP asked...do we always turn round and say a .243 is debateable on Fox at 750-1000yards?

Edited by Deker

Not according to South Yorkshire it isn't. Admittedly things may have changed but this was their stance a couple of years ago. I know you have several calibres to choose from Deker, intersted to know under what condition would you reach into your cabinet and pull out the HMR if you had a call to dispatch a fox?

South Yorks are not in the business of shooting Foxes, they run a Firearms dept!

Edit

I reach into the cabinet and take any of my rimfires for virtually every garden fox, barn fox , chicken fox, etc etc.

Lobbing centrefire rounds at foxes in the next county is seldom required for many people, foxes are easy to track and train, of course there are exceptions and I take foxes at distance occasionally with bigger calibres. :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

South Yorks are not in the business of shooting Foxes, they run a Firearms dept!

No but they are in the business of issuing out certificates to those who do want to shoot them and implementing conditions relating to said certificates :thumbs:

• Like 1

And I am reliably informed that it is still the policy NOT to sanction rimfires for fox shooting,this is a debate that I suspect will re-occur many times in the future, and then when the .17wsm finally hits our shores, the hmr will fall a little by the wayside, and the debate will rage again, and we will probably see (not aimed at anyone on here) yet more articles by men shootin foxes with rimfires not realising they actually dont have a .22-250 in their hands.