Scopes: Adjustable Objective Or Fixed?

I'm guessing you mean focus. I think most the up market glass features some sort of focus, whether it be side or objective. Personally I prefer the side focus. Although back in the day, the objective with range markings, 25, 30 and 35 yards etc helped with judging distance. So adjustable for me, be it side or objective. The hft lads will all be in for adjustable for sure. Fixed perhaps helps with ratting and when quick shots should be taken.

To be honest the HFT boys might suggest fixed as we can't adjust the scope once we are on the course. If you can get a decent scope that allows you to change the parallax by adjusting the internal objective lens then that's the way to go but it limits all other types of shooting. At an event recently I was 13 shots in without a miss until I approached a standing shot and hit the adjustable objective ring against the pallet, the next 17 shots were plate only. I have now toyed with a side focus scope so that removes that risk and being side focus it covers all bases. Of the three Panoramas I have not one correlates with the gradients on the objective. If the gauge says 35 yards it's more than likely ten yards out either way. Best get a tape measure out and mark the objective yourself.

• Like 1

So far I've preferred AO scopes it's allowed me to get a clear image at various distances. Not sure it would be the same with a fixed focus as I believe their parallax is usually set at 50 yards as a minimum, so may cause parallax error at closer ranges. I'd like to try a side focus like a mamba or varmint.

Fixed is not good if you are hunting but every scope I ever had with adjustable AO or side focus changed the poi with every move of the focus wheel. Fixed focus can often be changed to a more preferable distance but Hawke scopes are a bstard to re-parallax as they use a strong glue on the lens ring.

• Like 1

I have two fixed mag scopes an eb sniper 10x42 and mtc viper 10x44 both have side focus and are mainly used for hft one less lense to look through when fixed mag and on lower mounts for better aim points at closer range more room for error in range finding and the smaller obj gives a clearer site pic over the whole range on hft 8 to 45yds ;) having said that with the side focus they are fine for hunting ;) on my hunting rigs i have a sidewinder 4x16x50 sr pro again side focus and a hawke panorama AO again 50mm and both great scopes i prefer side focus if im honest .but to be totally honest i never really change the focus i set it to around 27yards and just shoot LOL i zero and shoot on 10 mag unless using night vision this is when side focus or Ao come into there own ;)

• Like 1