Hey guys I have been thinking about putting in for a variation so that I can have a .223 for fox and with the opportunity of maybe going once or twice a year for some muntjac.

I was told a few years ago that I would be given the .223 as the land I have is suitable and this was before I had an open ticket, my main concern is how the AOLQ is stated and is it in effect nationally on every ticket to all or just open FAC holders and will my reason be sufficient enough as I dont see a problem with the minimum amount that I would use it fir muntjac should be a problem as it is still good reason.

Just ask for fox as your 'reason' and aolq.

These days aolq is being applied more as standard.

You only need one 'reason'.

It is a bit hit and miss whether or not they will open your ticket. No harm in asking.

Thanks ..and I already have an open certificate.

Yes but unless I have severely misunderstood your post, you DONT have an open ticket for a .223 correct? so lets say you have an open ticket for .22 or .17 hmr you wont automatically be granted it on a .223, more than likely they will put you on closed ticket with it, aolq is being applied in more areas, but can you not check with someone in your area, to see if they have the condition? If not then I would apply for the .223 for fox, again I am making the assumption that you will be buying paid stalking for the Muntjac? If so then book a stalk before you put in your variation, that way they will have to grant deer as well as fox, if you have your own ground with Muntjac present, then you have a reason to have deer granted on your conditions, finally no harm in being cheeky and asking for an open condition on your .223, outline your previous experience, and keep your fingers crossed, but I think you will find it will come back closed IE restricted to land you have authority to be on, passed for that calibre or above, hope this helps :thumbs:

• Like 1

Sorry I should elaborate, I have been stalking before but do not have an open certificate for .223 and have also 17 hmr and 22lr open fac and i understand exactly what your saying Charlie caller, my mate who went straight to .223 with fox and aolq after 6 months mentorship under a 22lr last summer.

That being said he told me he would issue me one for fox two years ago as the land I have is suitable, I also have more land these days and iam more than confident in my own abilities and Ofcourse dont want this to hinder me by having a closed position on a .223

Edited by celticrusader

Ok do you have any evidence of your previous stalking experience? If not can you acquire it, because just telling them you have been wont wash, obviously I dont know your feo, as we know they are all different, the way I see it you have two choices really, you are in the fortunate position of having spoken to your man about acquiring a .223 for shooting foxes and you have land cleared, so far so good, now (and I am surmising) you dont have land that either holds, or you have authority to shoot Muntjac? Now you MIGHT get lucky and have aolq added, (perhaps a call to your feo might be in order) or he might want to see access to land holding Muntjac, which you dont seem to have, and evidence of previous stalking experience, the answer is to provide evidence of a pre booked stalk before you acquire the rifle, you then should get deer added along with fox, you mention your friend was granted a .223 after 6 months mentoring on a .22 rf, correct me if I am wrong, but I will venture to suggest he was not granted an open condition? And as I said it is doubtful you will be, this of course is all broadly speaking, your feo will have different ideas to others, I can tell you emphatically if you were in my area, and just acquired your first cf you would not be granted an open condition, but it sounds good for you getting your rifle granted best of luck mate, keep us posted :thumbs:

Edited by charlie caller

Another way of getting an open ticket could be to book a stalk in Scotland and say you intend to shoot up there as well, as I understand no land is approved up there. The danger is it might be opened for Scotland only although if you have deer shooting in England, they may just open the whole ticket.

A couple I know with no previous experience got 1st time grants on .22-250 and .243 totally open on the basis of stalking North of the Border (or so they tell me, I haven't seen the tickets but they swear there's no additional condition with regard to England. I have no reason to doubt but haven't seen it 1st hand).

Edited by Alsone

Yes Charlie caller my friends is not open but the person I went stalking with said that i could use him as a reference if and when the feo would enquire about me, also if the feo is the same person I spoke to last time then he is an experienced shooter and stalker himself who I found a pretty decent guy.

I have to be honest and travelling large distances for stalking although appealing and something I have done in the past is not cost effective for me as local regardless of having an open as it would be better if I put in to have my certificate opened after a set period of time and the cost of this.

Now another thing I thought was as there is fallow near me aswell would it be beneficial if a went for another calibre like .243 for fox with aolq in the hope that I could use this as a wider choice on some of the other species, the .223 I was looking at my friend reloads and we would both go haves on the components and powder etc etc but I do not have a problem as long as the price is not too much and if so I could get the pieces for him to reload for my alternative choice.

Many thanks on the advice guys.

Edited by celticrusader

Ok then if your ground is cleared for .243 or above, you should have no problem being granted a .243, I suggest you get onto your stalking friend and ask him for a letter stating you have stalked with him and you are safe/competent, this will go a long way trust me, then I would speak to the feo (its good that he is a shooting man) and ask him about a .243 as you wish to shoot fox but not be restricted to the species of deer you can shoot :thumbs: as for reloading, if your pal has a press etc, then all you will need to buy are a set of dies, powder, bullets, primers, and have some once fired cases at your disposal, and you are away, crack on pal, and get it done :yes:

Hey guys just got off the phone to the feo and he said I would be fine and that going for a .243 would be a better option as they're is limited muntjac in our area and this way I can use it for fox and then for the odd stalking that I do closer to home :) all I need to do now is get the ball rolling and start planning....oh and sell my quad as that's where my moneys coming from.

• Like 1