Total Terrain Change

Here was an unexpected event, out first thing, I get to my usual permission, the next thing I know, all the grass has been cut and there's not a single rabbit in site.

So I trot around, and meander, and walk about and nothing!

The only thing that was semi shootable was a rabbit on the other side of a small stinging nettle out crop, about 2 meters from me, that I only realised it was there when it shot off before me and into the hedges. The only reason it was shootable was by law. Although the laws of physics made it impossible to actually shoot. So the only shootable animal all morning was actually not shootable.....kind of messes with your head that haha.

I end up simply enjoying a summer stroll on a massive and beautiful plot of land, happy as can be, the warmth of the sun on my back, rifle on the shoulder. Was it good hunting? No, but I did find some pretty fresh tracks for rabbits, so it seems they may just have relocated to the opposite side of the field (I'll get out there and check for next time). Was it a good time out in the morning? Damn right. Country air, lovely weather, what's not to like?

There is something amazingly novel about being able to walk around freely with a gun on my shoulder, that I really like. I'm not sure what it is, but just walking around with that sling and gun in place.....maybe it's relating back to ancient ancestry when man would carry his firearm with him at all times, or something like that? It's just a refreshing feeling.

This is probably the worst hunting review on the forum, but at least I have a route to go to next time.

I'll try and get some footage of my ratting outings. There I'm regularly getting good bags, but there's so much going on and I do some shots even Si would be proud of haha. But I don't want to post about that as it would sound like I'm chatting bubbles. When I get the footage to back it up, then I'll start doing write ups about that.

• Like 1