Mesh Holder For Knitting

Joonsy

After viewing some posts I have noticed that some people use a triangular shaped bit of wire for holding their meshes when knitting nets, they normally have a ‘clip’ type opening on the bottom where the meshes are held to obviously allow for meshes to be taken on and off the holder. This is clearly demonstrated on one of the videos on Agouti’s website titled ‘Beginning the Net’. I tried this and soon realised that the wire holder could be improved because occasionally while knitting the meshes can snag on the hooked clip closure or the end of wire protruding from the clip and I found it a bit of a nuisance as it slows one down having to occasionally free the meshes (perhaps this is because I personally knit with the net more horizontal than the vertical shown in agoutis vid). To remedy this I made my own version of those triangular wire holders, I put the ‘clip’ closure at the top of the holder instead so there are no protrusions or hooks at all on the bottom where the meshes are held, hence there is nothing to snag the meshes while knitting. For my own knitting technique I found it a big improvement to have the hooked closure on the top instead of the bottom as it eliminates any fouling of the meshes while knitting. Photos below of my version (PS – though shown with butchers hook for demonstration I usually just use a length of cord to hang it from). Of course those that never snag their meshes while knitting with the more usual wire holder will find little benefit in this post.

1-2.jpg?t=1401825759

nettingholder025.jpg?t=1401830717

• Like 2

ahh now mine were like that but! if the wires not strong enugh then with pulling the knots tight on some twines that need a bit of monty to get em tight then the clip side of the triangle can spring up and down causeing un-even knitting....just a observation

Spot on mate had the same thing happen to me and did the same as you great minds springs to mind lol aidy

thanks sprockerjay for reply, i've been accused of many things but never a great mind :laugh: ATB

I like that. So simple, but it works. Be easier to make too. It was a pain in the arse trying to make a decent "square" triangle. Thanks for sharing.

thanks reply bobcullen, yes it is easier to make as like you say the squaring off is simpler (presume you mean getting the bottom to sit level), just form the hook first on a straight bit of wire then bend into a triangle shape then to finish just bend over the wire near hook at a suitable point to ensure bottom sits level when knitting, ATB.

ahh now mine were like that but! if the wires not strong enugh then with pulling the knots tight on some twines that need a bit of monty to get em tight then the clip side of the triangle can spring up and down causeing un-even knitting....just a observation

thanks reply perthshire keeper, if you see how i've bent over the end of wire that clips into the hook well that's what keeps the hook closure from springing up and down, the bend acts as a stop, it doesn't happen IF you bend it like shown on photo, where that bend is dictates how the bottom of the triangle sits (level or not, ''squaring off'' as bobcullen calls it) and also keeps the triangle in shape. ATB.

Edited by Joonsy

nice 1, :thumbs:

i'm by no means an expert on knitting longnets in fact I've just started my 1st stop net, I made this to start off and hold the net meshes. works a treat so far.

attachicon.gif1345 (800x600).jpg

As long as it does the job for you, go for it. If it does not work for you as you like, then you adjust the design till it does. Nothing is perfect, what will be great for you may not suit anyone else. What suits someone else may not suit you. It's all about experimenting, running with ideas and finding out what really suits your style of knitting. :thumbs:

TC

• Like 2

I have only used the triangle for a few years, and while I find it great for starting a net off on, I do not like hitching the net up on it. There are a couple of reasons for that.

You have to keep the net you have knitted taught to keep the meshes on the bar of the triangle in line and even. When you let the net get slack the meshes bunch over each other and create miss-matches on the row you are knitting, you then have to rearrange the meshes on the bar, to get the row you are kitting level.

Another factor is that when the triangle is tied to a point with string it tends to twist, this is not too bad when the first couple of rows are being knitted but after that it gets a bit of a pain.

For the above reasons after the first half a dozen or so rows I tend to transfer to a hook on the wall. However, that is not without it's problems also. It is the same as using string in that the meshes bunch up on the hook, the same as they do around a piece of string and that can also cause the miss-alignment of the meshes on the row you are knitting.

Reading this thread made me think how could the meshes be held even across the bar of the triangle yet not move when slack is given to the knitted net ? I have an idea, how to implement it is another story, and I am sure you could come up with many of your own.

The requirements are that it must be able to hold the loops of twine in place yet be able to be quickly released and reset when you want to move down the net. The first thing I thought of was a Capo for a guitar type device which clamps down on the neck of a guitar to change the pitch. The next thing I have thought about is a pipe clamp similar to what they use to bleed brakes with. Out of the two the latter is my favourite so far and with a little bit of thought and some rubber tubing over the bars of the clamp it could serve the purpose.

Your thoughts please.

TC

Edited by tiercel

I have only used the triangle for a few years, and while I find it great for starting a net off on, I do not like hitching the net up on it. There are a couple of reasons for that.

You have to keep the net you have knitted taught to keep the meshes on the bar of the triangle in line and even. When you let the net get slack the meshes bunch over each other and create miss-matches on the row you are knitting, you then have to rearrange the meshes on the bar, to get the row you are kitting level.

Another factor is that when the triangle is tied to a point with string it tends to twist, this is not too bad when the first couple of rows are being knitted but after that it gets a bit of a pain.

For the above reasons after the first half a dozen or so rows I tend to transfer to a hook on the wall. However, that is not without it's problems also. It is the same as using string in that the meshes bunch up on the hook, the same as they do around a piece of string and that can also cause the miss-alignment of the meshes on the row you are knitting.

Reading this thread made me think how could the meshes be held even across the bar of the triangle yet not move when slack is given to the knitted net ? I have an idea, how to implement it is another story, and I am sure you could come up with many of your own.

The requirements are that it must be able to hold the loops of twine in place yet be able to be quickly released and reset when you want to move down the net. The first thing I thought of was a Capo for a guitar type device which clamps down on the neck of a guitar to change the pitch. The next thing I have thought about is a pipe clamp similar to what they use to bleed brakes with. Out of the two the latter is my favourite so far and with a little bit of thought and some rubber tubing over the bars of the clamp it could serve the purpose.

Your thoughts please.

TC

i know what you mean Tiercel, i have only used the triangle a relatively short while prompted to try it by posts on this forum and agree with your comments, thinking along your lines i pondered on womens hair clips or those giant paper clips then pulled out a bulldog clip from my drawer and tried that, just clip it right over the bar of triangle and onto the meshes (so it is clamped tight onto the meshes only NOT the wire, fitted so it will rotate freely over wire but clamp on mesh), i have not yet tried knitting with it so don't know if it's strong enough to hold firm but other than that it fulfills the requirements, needs to be tried to see it if its practical to use of course but thought i'd quickly post my thoughts on it. (PS - i have had to use a wider wire holder to accomodate bulldog clip, and of course the wire would be susupended as normal). Photo below, ATB. --- (Edited just to add, thinking about it you could clamp the bulldog clamp onto both the mesh and wire i suppose, i said just mesh above).

nettingholderclip001.jpg?t=1401913543

Edited by Joonsy
  • Like 2

not a bad idea joonsy if its not enough grip you could pop to the pound shop and get a little plastic clamp for.... you guest it £1

i have knitt long nets but i dont like it and the wife wont do it so i just buy sheet netting now but for my money you cant beat a nice double knitt engles..

This is what as known as collective development, I love it. There is always another way, it may not suit some, but will suit others. The more ideas out there the better.

Don't be shy give them a try, the worst that can happen is that they do not work for you, but you will never know unless you try.

TC

• Like 1

Your thoughts please.

TC

i know what you mean Tiercel, i have only used the triangle a relatively short while prompted to try it by posts on this forum and agree with your comments, thinking along your lines i pondered on womens hair clips or those giant paper clips then pulled out a bulldog clip from my drawer and tried that, just clip it right over the bar of triangle and onto the meshes (so it is clamped tight onto the meshes only NOT the wire, fitted so it will rotate freely over wire but clamp on mesh), i have not yet tried knitting with it so don't know if it's strong enough to hold firm but other than that it fulfills the requirements, needs to be tried to see it if its practical to use of course but thought i'd quickly post my thoughts on it. (PS - i have had to use a wider wire holder to accomodate bulldog clip, and of course the wire would be susupended as normal). Photo below, ATB. --- (Edited just to add, thinking about it you could clamp the bulldog clamp onto both the mesh and wire i suppose, i said just mesh above).

nettingholderclip001.jpg?t=1401913543

In my honest opinion that will do the job. It fills all the requirements, in that it holds the meshes straight and stops them folding over each other. If the meshes are pulled tight against the bar then the clip applied to them to trap them against the bar I cannot see much lateral movement either giving the triangle a better balance also. :thumbs:

The only thing I would do different to your picture is make the height of the triangle shorter so the two 45 degree arms pass between the arms of the bulldog clip to limit the movement of the clip. Q.E.D.

TC

Edited by tiercel

The only thing I would do different to your picture is make the height of the triangle shorter so the two 45 degree arms pass between the arms of the bulldog clip to limit the movement of the clip. Q.E.D.

yes that would indeed be an improvement :thumbs:

This is what as known as collective development, I love it. There is always another way, it may not suit some, but will suit others. The more ideas out there the better.

Don't be shy give them a try, the worst that can happen is that they do not work for you, but you will never know unless you try.

TC

Wise words indeed. I started longnetting a good many (too many) years before the internet and its forums burst onto the scene, back then there was also no instructional books or videos either and some experienced netters could be a little guarded and tight-lipped about their tactics so the beginner had to learn mostly by trial and error, therefore I have never forgot the words of a wonderful old man and very experienced netter who was less reluctant to help and offered me some good advice just before his death, to quote him ‘'knowledge to an old man is like a comb to a bald head, I can do nothing with it other than pass it on so I am happy to share what I know with you’'. My how things have changed since those days with loads of information at the click of a mouse and most folks are happy to share and offer help, all for the good. ATB.

• Like 2