Thinking About Getting A Few Chickens.

Thought about this a few times over the years but I think Im finaly going to go for it. Mainly looking for egg production but also want something that's nice to look at. been reading up online and the breeds I think will suit my purposes are white leghorns and light sussex so thinking about 4 of each. I wont be able to let the birds free range in the garden all the time maybe just 3 ours a day so I want something that's not going to suffer being in a coop a lot of the time.

Im thinking about making the run with a couple of handles on one end and a wheel on the other so I can move it around like a wheelbarrow so the grass doesn't suffer to much.

Any thoughts on the suitability on my choice of breed and setup would be appreciated.

The place near me that sells point of lays have all colours in, laying hybrids but they look like pure breeds like white leghorn and light Sussex etc, there's blue belles and speckled hens too I'd say just go somewhere like that and choose whichever take your fancy.

• Like 2

Crack on bud love my chickens :yes: If your limited for space then a movable run is best imo. I done some meat birds last year and they turned out well gonna do em again for sure. I brought fertile eggs hatched em out (17 out of 18 hatched :icon_eek::D dressed out between 7lb and 9lb cost all in £4.50 a bird and they taste like chicken lol

• Like 2

The place near me that sells point of lays have all colours in, laying hybrids but they look like pure breeds like white leghorn and light Sussex etc, there's blue belles and speckled hens too I'd say just go somewhere like that and choose whichever take your fancy.

Can't beat hybrids for egg production and disease resistance leghorns can be a bit flighty light Sussex the better of the 2 breeds for your circumstances jmo.

• Like 1