Just been watching several house sparrows going in to my eaves to roost. I purposfully left this hole in the eaves for these little birds to nest in...and now it seems they are using it to roost too...making an awful din they were....sorry about quality of pics.....the light isnt good........JD

post-16-1191859274_thumb.jpg

post-16-1191859299_thumb.jpg

Guest Ditch_Shitter
:clapper: Brilliant, JD! As ye might have caught elsewhere; I once had a new upvc facia and soffit fitted to one of my properties. Then I had the guy drill a serise of 32mm holes through the facia. Just to let the sparrows in :good:

funny thing there used to be loads of sparrows around where i live (the smoke) then one year they All seemed to vanish.

dont know if it was a disease,predation or what :hmm: they do seem to have started to be making a bit of a come back over the past two years but are still nowhere near the numbers they once were.

lots more corvids(spell?) than i can ever remember though.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Rick; I wouldn't know, mate. I had that work done as part of the spruce up before I put that house on the market ;) I was gone within a couple of months of it being done.

JRT666; No one has yet, to my knowledge, cracked what happened to House Sparrow numbers. They've looked at every suggestion from Unleaded fuel to changing agricultural practices. Bit like the vanishing frog life of the high Andes: Just another sign that we've screwed the planet beyond repair.

JRT666; No one has yet, to my knowledge, cracked what happened to House Sparrow numbers. They've looked at every suggestion from Unleaded fuel to changing agricultural practices. Bit like the vanishing frog life of the high Andes: Just another sign that we've screwed the planet beyond repair.

and here was me thinking that it may have been my fault for taking away there local free high quality diet of red band and bamfords breeding mix. you see the time they vanished was around the same time i got rid of me racing pigeons so there were no more hand outs for the little fella. at least now i know it was because weve screwed the world and not because of me i can sleep sound once again

wait a minute the worlds screwed? the worlds screwed why did you have to tell me that ditch :(:(:(

Guest The Shaman

When I was a lad there was sparrows aplenty, and much to my shame they were one of my preferred targets with the catty. Now they seem to be a rarity. Nice to see people are taking time and effort to look out for the little fellas.

got a hundred or so sparrows roosting every evening in a wall that is covered in ivy at our house , wife hates all the bird shite in the morning they started to roost in august and have been there ever since.they make a real racket fighting for best perch a nieghbour was asking if i was breeding budgies or finches... nosey git.