Out With The New .223 Howa

Well i went out yesterday to zero up my new .223 howa 1500 and was over the moon with it.

Ive seen a few Howa's in synthectic stock and did not like the feel of them almost like they were cheap and flimsy, probably just my opinion.... anyway i put a wanted add on here last week and a fellow member messaged me saying he had one in a wooden sporter stock,sling,scope,powder,reloading dies and a few rounds all for a very reasonable price ( cheers LD ) so off to south wales to take a look and im glad i didnt rush into buying a synthectic stock as the overall feel of the wooden stock is quality.

Had a good chat over a cuppa and had plenty of advise etc and what a top bloke to meet, Then long drive back with my new toy :boogy:

Anyway managed to zero it up at 150 yards with homeloads which grouped very well and it performed faultless, i know Shropshire dan is thinking of a howa and i would recommend them but as its my first centre fire thats just my opinion as im sure others will say otherwise.

Just as i was about to go a big old crow landed around 170yds away, so i thought id have one last shot now she was all zero'd up......lined the cross hairs up and crack......one crow and a smile from ear to ear.

Big thanks to LD and look forward to the next meet up :thumbs:

No only the homeloads i had with the rifle, i was going to go for the sythectic but did not like the way it felt but thats just me.

I will be buying factory ammo untill i start loading myself but all in good time and ive got a few rounds that i had with the rifle so should last me a while.

Bit of a difference to the hmr haha but think that is cracking rifle too.

Atb

Have you got a slot for .223 or have you put in for it?

Ive just aquired more permission today so have sent west mercia an e-mail to get the land checked as i know its never been shot or lamped.

Do you know how long it takes as its in powys not shropshire? Also do they contact you regarding the land or can someone tell me the process as all my land has been passed so never applied for virgin ground.

Cheers

Edited by meldino2005

Ive sent my feo new land thats in Wales authority he will forward it to them for me. My feo clears land within a few mins usually if he needs to check land this may take a couple of days.

I havnt got a slot yet but am putting in for it in a few weeks feo has already said he will grant it

Ill be toying with various ammo but hoping it likes hornady vmax 55g as their cheap and readily available here.

I should imagine they will email or call you. Most of my land was previously passed and the land ive asked to be passed took 2mins over the phone. The new land in wales will be sent to the correct authority and then they will decide whether to check by maps or visit. But a friend (kruby01) lives their and has had a visit from feo re sgc and he has seen the land and vermin whilst there

congrats on the new gun mate but id zero it at 200 yards. the .223 is a flat shooting gun so why not take advantage of that. using Hornady 53gran superformence with a 200 yard zero there's just 5.6" of drop at 300 yards. atb with the new gun.

congrats on the new gun mate but id zero it at 200 yards. the .223 is a flat shooting gun so why not take advantage of that. using Hornady 53gran superformence with a 200 yard zero there's just 5.6" of drop at 300 yards. atb with the new gun.

Cheers for the info mate

You cant go wrong with a Howa boys, I got a lovely laminate stock for my Weatherby from Boyds in the states, made it super accurate, and looks the dogs reproductive organs ;)

Just out of interest, which one did you get?