Is it possible

Guest FOXDOG

sensible and true comments elisderyn, but is the description of the meaining hard "gets hold, no sound and keeps hold" or is it the terrier that pushes the quarry hard in to the stop (if it dosent bolt) and stays and takes what is thrown at it and doesnt quit and will do this every time it is worked?

To me a Hard terrier is a terrier that when fit for work is a terrier that will enter, hit its quarry and push it to a stop no matter what even if the quarry has other ideas, the terrier holds it there, takes its stick and gives as much back, never gives in and never comes out (within reason!) and continualy works to this high standard season after season and would kill most foxes, but the killing of a fox is more a technique rather than hardness, when a terrier will do this season after season this to me is a true game, hard terrier, they dont have to be mute to be hard, in my opinion

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair point there Mr.1.............By your description of a hard dog I have a bitch here that fits that bill.

She works quarry to an end & doesnt relent , Holding when needed but generally mixing and parrying , I compare her to another I have in the kennel who sometimes , due to his over aggresive approach can make an easy dig a f*****g hard one , Im sure you lads know what I mean , taking needless punishment , I tell anyone that although he has his uses he's not really that good a digging dog as a result on times.........Sure he gets the job done but the lay ups needed as a result are uneeded & a pain in the arse.... :no: ................ Maybe "reckless" instead of "hard" would be a more apt discription of dogs like this..... :thumbs:

Some idiots will probably jump on this statement but I have to be choosy where I use the dog , Which , as I have said , Is one of the reasons why I dont really class him as a great digging dog................He is a nice tool to have in the box though & I have had game with him that you simply would not dig with a bayer....... :thumbs:

IN MY OPINION WHAT I WOULD CLASS AS A HARD DOG, IS A DOG THAT COMES TO GRIPS WITH THE GAME MID TUBE, OR ANY PART OF THE EARTH, WANTS HE GRIPS, HE HOLDS TILL HE IS DUG TO...REGARDLESS IF ITS A STOP END, WHEN I OPEN UP ON THE DOG / GAME I PULL THE GAME OUT FIRST....FOR FEAR I MAY LOSE THE GAME IF I PULLED THE DOG OUT FIRST BY BREAKING HIS GRIP........JUST LIKE THE PHOTO BELOW TAKING A FEW DAYS AGO.....post-341-1192011814_thumb.jpg

post-341-1192011982_thumb.jpg

post-341-1192013439_thumb.jpg

TERRIER LOSE AND GRIPPING THE FOX IS A YOUNG DOG THAT WE HAD LOSE AND LEARNING THE ROPES.

Edited by pikey

I agree with you as well p***y , A hard dog over time can learn to hold his quarry but take fairly minimal damage............The dog like I descibed though still insists in "fighting" his quarry as a pose to "working" it & as you know there is a big difference.... :thumbs:

Some spot on replies there from lads i know are doing the bizz .The "hardest "dog i ever owned is now long dead but saw a lot of stuff in the sand around us where a bayer would be left behind baying at a wall of dirt .Hard to me is a terrier that is not in the least bothered about the qualities of its opponent and will give /take all that comes its way .A pain in the ass some times but long may they be bred . :notworthy: