Is it possible

Guest FOXDOG

Guest FOXDOG

Is it possible to make a hard dog bay? Or will a hard dog never be made bay? :hmm: At the moment I have 5 digging dogs, 4 will not make a sound and the other is a sounder but if the quarry tries to pass he wont budge and will take hold and take stick if needs be :boxing: Now its the last dog I dig the most with and at the moment 3 of the 4 hard dogs are out of action, One is in a very bad way after a supposedly shallow earth turned into a 7 foot dig with strong quarry but yet not 1 sound from the dog :doh: Now I like my hard dogs but prefer a good sounder that will take hold if needs be and doesnt get pushed around, so the question is do you think a hard dog can be made bay and how? :hmm:

Forgot to mention this is all historically speaking if your not in Ireland like myself :thumbs:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if the dogs have had plenty of graft already and still refusing to bay they'll prob continue that way,although some can ease of at any time in there career,but many dont make it that far,maybe you could make changes to their breeding in future pups to get something more suitable,do they have a lot of bull blood in them?

Guest FOXDOG

SAMWARD the last thing anyone should do is put a hard dog in an undiggable place :blink: You cant get down to the dog so it will get destroyed, WAZ theres no bull blood at all in them and I wouldnt change the breeding because although its throwing nearly all hard dogs its throwing stayers :D

In that case Foxdog i'd probably overlook the fact that they're a wee bit over hard,after all finding and staying are the most important qualities and if you got that then you got some good uns,as for getting em to bay they'll either do it or they'll die trying,jmo

I suppose there are uses for both types of dog, like in undiggable places, the hard dog comes into affect. but personally i think once a hard dog always a hard dog to be honest, if you want a bayer get a russell. :thumbs:

with in reason work him a littal sore :thumbs::thumbs:

it could also be from entering the dogs too early, then taking a pasting. but i agree it could be from too much addition of bull blood, lets face it bulls arnt the smartest of dogs, they just grab anything and dont tend to feel pain, terriers were bred for a reason, i think people should stop putting bull blood into strains. yes it improves head, but whats the point in having a nice head if its covered in scares.

:o:o Oh Dear what have we here then :hmm:

Edited by TUFFTY

old (veryold)terrier man once told me to catch a squirrel in a cage trap and use that like you would when starting a young terrier eventually frustration kicks in they begin to whine then this turns into full baying.never tried myself but he swore by it .this may be totally wrong but there were not many laws when he was digging!!!put in my kennel with my red bitch then walk near it at night she definately found her voice when someone came nearand kept on with it in her work the noisy :censored:

I would say it depends on the age if the dog is still young it might start using a bit of brain and start baying but personally i think generally once it gets a taste of the quarry and it likes what its doing nothing is going to stop it,i personally wouldnt change the breeding if your dogs are grafting well

Guest FOXDOG

I dont want to change the way my dogs work im just wondering if anyone has turned a hard dog into a sounder? :hmm: A good sounder that doesnt get pushed around is in my opinion the best working style :D

Edited by FOXDOG
Guest nitedog
I suppose there are uses for both types of dog, like in undiggable places, the hard dog comes into affect. but personally i think once a hard dog always a hard dog to be honest, if you want a bayer get a russell. :thumbs:

spot on mate :thumbs:

IMO one of the most knowledgable terriermen on these sites answered this question a while ago,"work em sore"although he said also he wouldn t do it,niether would i,if you ve a kennel of 4 or 5 terriers mostly mute you ve more than most ,although it does limit the places you can use them if you care about them.How many mute 100% bitches have you got?