Hen Putting Nesting Material In Already Build Nest?

Maybe put another nesting pan up near the one she's using as she's just getting the next nest ready and it maybe she don't like the place of the ones you've put up,try putting a few in other places and maybe try to let some light into that corner where there's a lot of cover if you can as it's a bit dark there for a nest site really.

• Like 2

Will do that tomorrow fireman is it a good idea to put some nest pans at different heights? And that red factor cock was attacking that white hen on the nest to day and pulled her of and nearly chucked one of the chicks out and one had already died on the floor so toke him out and put him in a cage

• Like 1

Yes mate different hights,different sorts of shaded areas,give them s much choice as you can,you've done the right thing with the cock and he was probebly trying to drive her to nest again,shame aboutthe lost chick but sounds like you've saved the rest of them :victory: .

• Like 2

Ok will do that tomorrow than and I was a bit surprised when I saw him do it as last year never had a problem with him and that was in a double breeder but was in there while he done it and as he draged the hen out of the nest the only chick left was falling out so quickly putting my hand up and gently but it back in and my heart.was pounding lol so quickly grab him and put him in a cage and still have two left to hatch if they do and the greenfinch chicks should be fleding soon so when they do should take the neat out?

• Like 2

Leave the nest alone when the chicks fledge as they will go back to it for a bit and only remove it once it's not being used at all,take it right out and chck it away so any parasites that MAY be in them get removed totaly.Don't reuse the nesting stuff mate,just bin it :thumbs: .

• Like 2

Well she's build a completely new nest now so will have to chuck it away and unfortunately I found the rest of the canary chicks dead on the floor so chucked the nest away and put the canary cock back in but I think it was die to the nest not being deep enough so neat time will make sure she builds in a nest pan for sure that's if she does go again and I moved two of the nest pans today in different locations and different highs so will see if they take to them

If she's built it then leave it and bugger about the chicks and lets hope she's just had a bad round and will sort herself ot with the next one but plenty of time yet for breeding a few so don't worry just yet mate :victory:

• Like 1

I'm not worried as you say there's plenty of time and my greenie chicks are getting bigger by the day so well chuffed about thet and she probably did as she is a good mother and proper amazed with the greenfinch pair as doing so well going again and looking after the two chicks especially being their first time and never seen so much input from the cock bird even seen him carrying nesting material about and taking it up to the nest and seen my other canary jen carrying nesting material so she should being going down soon so not all bad and that's the thing with bird keeping your gunna get some good days and some bad but I do strive to do the best for them and when I come to do my rebuild will make it ten times better with much more light

• Like 2

Last 2 lines or so say it all bud, :victory:

My silver hen is sitting tight now,not sure how many but i'll peep when she's off them at some point and the cinny hen has rebuilt and will lay this week as well,feck all from the others yet though :laugh:

• Like 1