Which .222

as the title says I am looking for a .222 for fox shooting I have been considering etiher a howa or tika I have been told to buy new as they can burn out barrel so I don't know any help will be apprediated thanks stephen

Apart from the .22 Hornet, the .222 is the lower end of the common .22 centrefires in terms of velocity so I wouldn't worry about a second hand being burnt out providing it doesn't look like it's been used for target shooting or by a professional pest controller and is under 3-5 years old.

If you can afford new, then buy new. The Tikka and Howa are both very good rifles, the Tikka perhaps having the edge on build quality over the Howa ;)

.222 is one of the most accurate rounds out there, and is a joy to reload for, I would have one over a .223 anyday, both Howa and Tikka are very good but I have to say the build quality of Howas is superb jap engineering to very tight tolerances, another rifle I would consider is a CZ 527, they are very good, a pal of mine has a .222 and it is one of the most accurate out of the box rifles I have ever seen, and he never cleans it either, you cant go wrong with a CZ, whatever you choose mate they will all shoot well in the superb .222, I am aquainted with a gunsmith in the states, and he says if god had a calibre it would be a deuce :yes:

The .222 is a joy to shoot, I've had one since I started shooting rifles and still have it, a CZ 527 American.

As Charlie says, it's one of those calibres that is good in so many aspects, hence why it was the calibre of choice for target shooters for years from the 50's to the 70's.

I had a Stutzen stock Bruno fox in 222 many years ago (1970's), it was the most accurate rifle 'out of the box' I've ever had

(& trust me I've had a few), I only ever used factory ammo back then as reloading was a rich 'nerdy' guy thing in those days.

Superb, no such thing as moderators in those days, but the 222 was only a little bit 'worse' than HV .22rf.

If I could have an unlimited collection one of these would be in it, still a few around for £300'ish.

AndyF