had a good day on Friday at a local loch, it was bright sunshine, and no rises, thought I was in for a poor day, but caught twelve on a black size 12 buzzer, hooked another six, but they flung the hook, fished a team of two on a floater with a very small indicator.

Edited by Country Joe
  • Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if I need to use a bung i'll just stick a fab on the point with a team of 2 or 3 buzzers below it. the last year i've fished buzzers a lot more and I've certainly caught more. Ive also been fishing sm

Here's a little story for you: I've been fly fishing for over thirty years and after all that time sometimes you still get stumped by the trout. My mate had invited me up onto his local upland reserv

Many years ago I read a book that changed the way I fished completely, and improved the amount of fish I was catching. Up until that time I had stuck to the perceived wisdom of if its cold go deep, if

Posted Images

What is our considered opinion on the bung/strike indicator, I know they work no question, and use one myself occasionally, but I cant help feeling they spook fish, so I try to rely on the line, also say you were fishing a buzzer or buzzers over say 5-6 feet of water, you probably would not fish a team of 3 but say you fished 2, and the fish were pretty high up in the water 2-3 feet, how short a leader would you dare try to get away with, I asked some good fishermen this in the boozer the other night, and the replies were interesting and varied?

What is our considered opinion on the bung/strike indicator, I know they work no question, and use one myself occasionally, but I cant help feeling they spook fish, so I try to rely on the line, also say you were fishing a buzzer or buzzers over say 5-6 feet of water, you probably would not fish a team of 3 but say you fished 2, and the fish were pretty high up in the water 2-3 feet, how short a leader would you dare try to get away with, I asked some good fishermen this in the boozer the other night, and the replies were interesting and varied?

Half the fun is finding what depth the fish are feeding at. As far as the bite indicators go I have never found the need, that is not to say that they would not perhaps have helped on occasions, just that I never felt the need.

The way I look at it is, everyone goes fishing trying to catch fish. I am not moralising here just stating facts, everyone has a different motive and ethics. It all depends what your outlook is, if you have paid say £50 to fish a put and take lake that holds big fish some might feel cheated if the did not catch a big fish, others may well feel that £50 is not bad for a day out. Neither is right or wrong as it is just their personal opinion.

One thing I will say though, is that if you rely on catching fish to make a days fishing enjoyable then be prepared for some big disappointments. While fishing buzzers is a good discipline to learn and certainly can save the day on many occasions they are not the b-all and end-all of fishing the fly.

Personally through a faulty casting technique I always try and use as short a leader as possible and I have not shied away from using a 3ft leader of the right diameter in the past and still caught fish. Sometimes it is better just to fish a single fly rather than a team of flies, especially if you are going for a certain depth.

Edited to add:

I have just remembered when I fished the booby (nymph?) I used to use a very short leader about 18" for dragging up the dam wall.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

I only ever fish 2 fly casts from the bank, although I don't really know why (probably ocd on my part). As for the leader, I don't change the length of it, I just move the bung closer to the dropper to reduce the depth.

I have to say that I find it more enjoyable to fish without an indicator but I found on a couple of times when there is virtually no wind I could only get takes when there is no movement of the fly.

if I need to use a bung i'll just stick a fab on the point with a team of 2 or 3 buzzers below it. the last year i've fished buzzers a lot more and I've certainly caught more. Ive also been fishing smaler flies, size 10 being the biggest i'll go. most of the time its small nymphs or mini lures. here's a coule of buzzers i tied last week just started tying about a month ago. a lot more rewarding catching on a fly you've tied yourself

20140418_203506_zpsc82lszw2.jpg

20140417_195241_zpsy9sbxaef.jpg

• Like 3

certainly stays a tad tacky. thats why i varnish after the resin. ive never tried non uv but i'm going to pick some up this week when i nip over to the fishery. i dont think it will make much of a difference when fishing. its the same as everything thats new. everyone loves new shiny stuff.