German Shorthaired Pointer Wanted

I've fount one aged 5 .. Fully trained went to see her work the other day , does evrything except she is not that great with recall comes back after a little wile .. Asking price is £1200 ??? What's your opinions ?? Thanks

your money,your choice,what do you care what anyone thinks ???

• Like 1

It will take you a while to bond with the dog and if its re call is dodgy what else is? Re call is one of the first lessons learned and if its not right well I wouldn't rush in but as everyone says its your choice and 1200 quid is cheap

Yh I think she was just having a stubborn day as the man seemed pretty genuine , he did say she doesn't usually play up , but he wasn't pushing me to buy her in anyway , I have in my head if it wasn't doing it on the day then it doesn't do it at all , also we had a hawk present to see if she was ok with them as she's never been worked with falconry , she didn't pay much attention but one stage did try go towards it but was called of with a firm voice and was fine , do you think it would get used to hawks or would it be a difficulty ? I know it's my own desition and money but it's my first GSP and first dog used for falconry hence reason I'm asking these questions , just a bit of reassurance , and a bit of advice from people who know more about them . Your personal views would be great if you was looking for a GSP for falconry what would be your choices / desistions , as a dogs for life don't want to jump Straight in thanks a lot jack

I would think you would be better buying a pup and training it to your standards.

Or ask about in the trialling scene for a dog who is not good enough to make 'the grade' doesn't mean it wont do everything you want.

Have had a few trialling dogs myself that weren't good enough to make it in trialling but were decent work dogs.

• Like 1
STRANGER, on 16 Apr 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

I would think you would be better buying a pup and training it to your standards.

Or ask about in the trialling scene for a dog who is not good enough to make 'the grade' doesn't mean it wont do everything you want.

Have had a few trialling dogs myself that weren't good enough to make it in trialling but were decent work dogs.

Agree, go for a pup. You can then develop a proper bond with it, and put the hard work in yourself to train it up to a decent standard.

It's your money but you will have more satisfaction bringing on a pup.

Im not a falconer mate but I do know The HPR breeds and I have a lot of contact with people who work them on Deer/falconry and shooting. Do your self a big favour and take your time. Get a pup from working parents train it well over 3 years and you will have the dog you want. You may even be lucky and get a dog that will do the job at an even younger age but don't push them.

As for training the bird I haven't a clue what goes into it.

Enjoy the process its a lot more rewarding

• Like 1