Loosing Zero.

I zeroed my Anshutz 1417 .22 lr last week and got it spot on at 50 yards, took it out last night and missed two rabbits clean at about 90 yards, guessed at the holdover. When I tried it on a target it was about 1" to the left, grouping well.

Same box of ammo that I used for zeroing. No wind either at zero or last night.

I'm using a Bushnell Banner 3x9 - 50, quite good quality. The mounts screws are firmly tightened. Do quality scope mounts make a difference? I often wonder if fitting my scope mounted light could possible move the scope?

I try not to knock my rifles at all.

PS. This is not the first time it has happened! :cry:

"I zeroed my Anshutz 1417 .22 lr last week and got it spot on at 50 yards, took it out last night and missed two rabbits clean at about 90 yards, guessed at the holdover."

In my view 90 yards is an awful long way to guess at the holdover when you have only zeroed at 50 yards.

50 yards is fairly optimum for the .22lr but things open up somewhat after that and I would guess that your drop at "about 90 yards" is going to be 4 inches or more and it would not take more than a very slight wind to knock it significantly sideways and at that distance a rabbit is still quite a small target even for a body shot especially at night when distances are really hard to guess.

dadioles - the Anshutz will group at about 1" at 90 yards. I had previosly measured the drop at 4" (top of the post on my reticule), no wind at all. When I tried it on the target the group was good, just to the left. A couple of clicks or so corrected this.

One question I wondered about was if the quality of my mounts could be in question - do good quality mounts make a difference?

I am never really convinced about the term "good quality mounts" on a rimfire.

There is very little recoil and these days most mounts seem to be pretty good quality despite considerable variation in price.

It is important to fit the mounts correctly so that everything lines up properly and obviously the screws must be tight (what is tight? I have seen some real bodged jobs).

When zeroed, you do not want the turrets wound anywhere near their extremes. The nearer the middle the better.

There is more to setting up a scope correctly than a lot of people realise.